• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Getting into quant finance, which course to choose, and other job options.

Hi,
First of all, sorry if I seem naive, and a quick note; I live in the UK.
Some background first:
I'm a programmer with a strong background in mathematics. At my current job, I do slot machines maths modelling and verification, so I do a lot of statistics but it's all basic level, it requires thinking a lot but it doesn't require a great deal of mathematical background. Verification is based on coding simulations in C# and checking that my statistics are correct (I guess that's called Monte Carlo simulation)
I want to get into banking, I will be straight honest, it's for the money and the position and because I'm in London so it's the best place (one of) for this kind of jobs. However, I do actually enjoy mathematics and programming mathematical applications, I have always had A* in my mathematics courses, but I studied Computer Science so I didn't do "Advanced" level mathematics.
My situation now:
I have a first class degree Computer Science bachelor from a recognised university but it's not a top-ten one. I'm going to do Master's soon hopefully, and I thought I will do a course related to the field I want to get into. Now here is the thing, I don't necessarily want to be a quant, I basically just want to have a job in the financial industry that requires a lot mathematics-oriented programming.
My options:
So I have three different courses:
Oxford - MSc Computational and mathematical finance
Imperial London - MSc Mathematical finance
Imperial London - MSc Statistics
One of the tutors at Imperial advised me to do Statistics instead of Mathematical finance because, according to him, it's getting more difficult now to get a quant job and Statistics is broader so I have more options regarding my job perspectives.
My queries:
1 - Which jobs satisfy my needs (mathematical-oriented programming in a financial industry) other than quantitative finance?
2 - Do you agree with the tutor at Imperial that I should do Statistics instead of Mathematical Finance, the main thing that attracts me to the Maths Finance MSc is that it includes a three months internship (if I can) which is EXTREMELY important in my opinion, but I still want to hear what you think.
Thanks, I tried to break it down to make it easy to read. Cheers, any advice would be appreicated.

talk to recruiter first and see how things develop.

Back