• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Getting into Quant Research roles after an above average but not excellent CS PhD in applied ML

Hello all,
Thank you in advance if you ended up reading all of it ^.^, and THANK YOU if you have any advice!

I’m a CS PhD student in my third year, my research is in TinyML for real time systems. I mostly work in C/C++. I’m from UIUC which might be lesser known but is considered a top-5 CS PhD school now.

I have a couple of papers in top systems conferences and expect to get 2-3 more at top real time system conferences ( can get more if I extend my PhD ).

I want to ask how realistic it is for me to break into Quant research space, I’m studying the interview material and brushing up on my leetcode/stats/brain teasers. But I don’t have olympiad medals, math PhD, or went to MIT. I don’t think I’m an elite PhD student( mostly coz I don’t want 10 papers but I do think I can publish them if I REALLY need it ).

I’m quite discouraged by what I read online about it. And I don’t think I fall into most categories that people have posted online about. I’m not elite, but definitely above average(working my way up there!). I have more breadth than depth.

I have published in network science, compilers for probabilistic programming languages, applied machine learning ( 1- paper each I was trying to see what I like) kind of a jack of many fields of CS. Don’t know if it’s the exhaustion of my PhD talking but yeah, not elite, not average.

Should I try for Quant research or Trader roles ? Is it realistic ?

Last edited:
Try for research roles and I'm sure you can get interviews

Back