• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Goldman Sachs Opening

I received an email this morning. Not sure how it comes about but I thought I'd share.
Maybe the recruiters frequent this forum and vist our Student Bio section. One more reason to get your profile published. :)
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:29 AM
To: andyng@
Subject: Goldman Sachs Opening

Hi,
Received your profile from the web. We have the following requirement with Goldman Sachs in the NY.

Please send me your resume (word), rate/salary, availability and contact info if you are interested in the position below.

Position: Associate
Duration: Full Time
Group: FICC Strategy

Goldman Sachs' FICC and Equity Strategies business unit is a world leader in developing quantitative and technological techniques to solve complex business problems. Working side by side with the Firm's trading, sales, and banking professionals, members of the department use their mathematical and scientific training to create financial products, advise clients on transactions, measure risk, and identify market opportunities.

Job Description:

Area: Implementing Mathematical Models in software

Anyone with strong skills in Math and Computer Science will be considered. Prior knowledge of/experience in finance is not required ( candidate should be interested in finance though because he/she will be trained in finance here ). The job involves building stochastic and statistical models for fixed income markets and products, some of which are quite complex, requiring advanced mathematical and computational techniques. Interview questions will test the candidate on fundamentals such as probability, statistics, analysis, combinatorics, algorithms, OO and functional programming.

Regards,

Madhav Halbe

Great real-life example, thanks for sharing, Andy.

Andy- maybe you should apply and get some interview exprience and who knows...maybe you will get the job. Then, you can take all of us out for a BIG dinner ;-)

if interested in the position, please let me know and send me your resume. I will contact the recruiter on your behalf.

hi! Andy,

Can I have the email of Madhav Halbe?

Thanks,

Raj

I received an email this morning. Not sure how it comes about but I thought I'd share.
Maybe the recruiters frequent this forum and vist our Student Bio section. One more reason to get your profile published. :)

It would seem to me that someone who is selling himself on being smart and applying for a job doing advanced computational work for a very high profile IB, will have worked out how to get the email address using the programming language of their choice...

It would seem to me that someone who is selling himself on being smart and applying for a job doing advanced computational work for a very high profile IB, will have worked out how to get the email address using the programming language of their choice...

agreed! The hint here is obvious. We should all try to look for clues and dig before asking.

Opportunity?

Hi Andy,
Are you looking for a position? I am a recruiter. Maybe I can help.
You can call me at 847-954-8063.
Thanks and good luck!
Craig Chiovatero

Hi Andy,
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the offer. I'm not looking for anything in the Windy City at the moment. Are you also recruiting for NYC besides Chicago ?

I would suggest that you create a separate thread in our "Heard on the Street" forum. You can use that forum to get the words out about the skills set you are looking for. You probably would like to post a couple of sample positions that you are recruiting for so people can get a feel of the specific required technical skills.

Hi Andy,
You can call me at 847-954-8063.
Thanks and good luck!
Craig Chiovatero

A quick note, I saw the post from "QuantRecruiter" above and noticed he was in Chicago. Although it's definitely a pure coincidence, I run the blog QuantRecruiter and am located in Chicago also, but I'm Matt Moye ;)

I'll be relocating to our Connecticut office late this summer.

Hi Matt,
Very interesting blog you run there. I found many useful pieces of information. Anything that has Blackberry, hedge fund, quant interview,... on the same page will be on my fav list ;)
That said, can I repost some of those info here ? (with due credit)

Sure, feel free to post anything I have on the site, and I appreciate the credit.

Unfortunately our business is VERY proprietary and I do not post much information that is not either already in the public domain, or that could effect our business. There are quite a few interesting small hedge funds out there, whom simply do not have a large public presence, or I'd like to keep our work with them confidential before pure "internet recruiters" attack!

A quick note, I saw the post from “QuantRecruiter” above and noticed he was in Chicago. Although it’s definitely a pure coincidence, I run the blog QuantRecruiter and am located in Chicago also, but I’m Matt Moye ;)

I’ll be relocating to our Connecticut office late this summer.

That's a big change from Chicago to Connecticut...I wonder why you guys are relocating...

That's a big change from Chicago to Connecticut...I wonder why you guys are relocating...

Our other two offices have been in CT & NY for over 20 years. I'm the only one relocating. Although I've done quite a bit in Chicago, I think it makes sense for my career to move over to CT/NY for at least a few years. Although I do most of my work on the phone, and am able to meet people on trips throughout the year, my ability to pick up and visit people quickly is tougher here.

Hi Andy,

I sent you an email on Goldman Sachs opening a couple of years ago. I am working on another position for the same firm. Please let me know if you or anyone you know is interested.

strategist to cover the prime mortgage sector (agency and non-agency prime). This is a client-facing position and will be a sales strategist :
  • 2-5 years experience
  • Have hands on experience covering the prime mortgage sector
  • Great quantitative skills and willing to do analysis and write codes (please note this person is not going to be a coder but he/she has to produce contents for the client conversation)

Back