• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Got admitted by LSE MSc Financial Mathematics, any advice??

@ekta and wuzhemin
I'm aiming to submit my Oxford application by the end of this week, and the Imperial application by the end of next week. I think Oxford's MSc MCF program will be as mathematically rigorous as Imperial's MSc M&F. You should compare and contrast their course contents.
Also between Imperial's MSc M&F and MSc RMFE, I think the course contents have a similar level of mathematical content, which probably ties in with the fact that there is a lot of overlap in the course content between the two programs. I feel, the key distinguishing points between the two courses is that latter has a lot more finance in its course content, but is almost as mathematically rigorous as the MSc M&F.

@ekta

I just got an email from Oxford. An interview has been arranged next week. A little bit nervous about it.

Do you have any idea what kind of questions they will ask? How technical will it be?

@wuzhemin
WOW! thats really good. CONGRATS!! I don't know much about the interview, but I guess it's going to be 100% technical. Good luck for it. Let me know how it goes! :)

By the way, I thought Oxford would reply only by post, how come they've sent an email? Are you in US?

I applied few days before u (just saw in the tracker), does it mean I've a greater chance of getting rejected? I really want them to reply (and accept me :P) soon.

One more thing, which ones your first preference LSE or Oxford?

Congrats, @wuzhemin
The interview will be very technical! but they usually give you some topics to revise for the interview. There are a set of questions to be solved as part of the application, so that would probably give you an idea of what questions will be asked during the interview. All the same, well done! and best of luck!

I was also admitted to the LSE Fin Math 2011/12!
smile.png

I also considered the Oxford programme, but I really wanted to live in London, so I went for LSE.

Soeren, congrats! Can you share your profile? I am keen to apply to LSE and Oxford as well.

Thx. Yeah, I'm 26, I have a BSc in Physics + a BSc in Economics, both from Denmark. Currently studying for an MSc in Quantitative Econ.

I applied for the 2010/2011 academic year as well, but I got waitlisted and were never offered a place. The crucial difference, I think, was that I took a course on measure theory in the meantime and got the math prof. to write me a letter of recommendation.

Hello everybody,
I am a French student, currently studying in an engineering school. I have an offer from LSE for MSc Financial mathematics. I am still waiting for Imperial College MSc Finance and HEC.

My concern is that I am good in mathematics, but during my studies I have only dealt with mathematics problems that I had to solve with a pen and a sheet of paper. In other words, I have very low skills in C, Java and matlab.
Thus, I am afraid to be overwhelmed in programming if I enrolled in MSc Finance at Imperial or MSc Financial Mathematics at LSE.
What do you think about that?

Cograts!
I think you will be OK ;) The acceptance rate of LSE for the MSc Fin Math is really law, they accept like 3% of the applicants. Therefore, if you got in they believe you will be able to handle the program. You should be believe in yourself as well. I would forget about HEC if I am in LSE and Imperial. Imperial Finance and LSE Math Finance are really different, see which one you like more and go for it! You will have to learn C++ maybe or some other language but everything can be accomplished. And really the programs at Imperial and LSE are different, research which one fits you more. ;) Good Luck!

Thank you for your answer.
I compared LSE MSc Financial Mathematics and IC MSc Finance.
I understood that IC is more quantitative tan LSE, while LSE is more theoritical. Is that it?

Actually, I am a bit anxious. One of these MSc will replace the third year of my school's program and if I do not succeed, I will have to repeat my third year (and refund both my banker and my parents).

About HEC, as a Frenchman, I am not really objective about this school. If you are from HEC, in France, you can get anywhere. However, I am afraid that it is only true in France and its archaic educational system...?

Louis B

Well HEC is really a top place to study in Europe and I would say worldwide but I believe LSE and IC are one step ahead. And from what I have heard and read LSE is really more theoretical while IC more applied. LSE would give you a chance for more quant-like positions while with IC I believe you will have good knowledge both practical and thoeretical. If you would prefer to study more theory go for LSE otherwise IC. I went to summer school at LSE did "Options, Futures and Other Financial Derivatives" and "Analysis and Management of Financial Risk". The courses were really nice, especially the first one. But I talked to some people from LSE and they told me it is pretty much theory what you study in Fin Math. Research the programs deeper and see where you will fit better ;) Good Luck!

Now I have a slightly more basic question: I have a conditional offer, is there a deadline for sending my toefl scores, transcripts etc... Can I wait until I have the result for hec and Imperial? (I know, it is a weird question, but as a Frenchman, I am not used to this kind of applications)

Thank you

If it is not mentioned in the application you might just send them and email and ask them ;)

Hi everyone,

First post on Quantnet :)

Just like Baudoin here, I am French. But I have already finished my studies in a French engineering school (Ecole Centrale Paris) and after a year working on an entrepreneur project, I have decided to go back to school and I applied to several MFE programs. I have also received an offer from the LSE for its MSc in financial mathematics but I am waiting for some news from other schools (Berkeley MSFE and Columbia MSOR among them).

@Baudoin: I have the same questions about the deadline to answer to the LSE since I'd like to wait for Berkeley and Columbia to answer me. Do you have any more information on the subject that you don't mind sharing ? Thanks in advance !

--
Rostam

Back