• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Got admitted by LSE MSc Financial Mathematics, any advice??

Just got an admission from them. Is LSE a good try? Anybody knows about this program? Could anyone give me some advice or comments about this program?

I have had a PhD in engineering and now seeking a switch to financial industry. I'm wondering if LSE's MS in Financial Math will help me to smooth this switch.

Thanks so much!

Hi Wuzhemin,
I have a similar background to yours and I've been looking for the right UK University to pursue an MSc degree in Financial Mathematics/Engineering. It seems most people make this choice based on a number of factors which include the cost, the prestige of the university, the reputation of the course within the financial sector, the proximity of the uni to the square mile, quality of the course content and so on and so forth. However, it seems to me that there is no stand-out UK universities when it comes to Financial Mathematics/Engineering. All there is is a group of top universities when it comes to this, i.e. Oxford, Imperial College, Warwick, LSE. By 'smoothing' the switch I guess you mean acquiring the right skills and knowledge a quant needs, and securing the right role. I recommend you research the other three universities so that you can make an informed decision. Have you considered universities in the US?

I have heard that the LSE Financial Maths MSc is hardest financial maths program to get in to the UK.

@Lovjit, You may well be right. But, looking at LSE's rival courses

- Imperial's MSc in Risk Management/Financial Engineering
- Imperial's MSc in Mathematics/Finance
- Oxford's MSc in Mathematical & Computational Finance
- Warwick's MSc in Financial Mathematics

In terms of prestige, these programs are at least on level pegging with LSE's program, and appear to have a more in-depth curriculum. Another thing to consider is that an Engineering PhD graduate may already have strong programming skills in C++/C/MATLAB etc, and or a strong mathematical background with a grasp of stochastic processes and stochastic calculus. In this case, the finance programs such as the LBS's Master in Finance and the Imperial's MSc Finance may be more suitable.

@Lovjit, You may well be right. But, looking at LSE's rival courses

- Imperial's MSc in Risk Management/Financial Engineering
- Imperial's MSc in Mathematics/Finance
- Oxford's MSc in Mathematical & Computational Finance
- Warwick's MSc in Financial Mathematics

In terms of prestige, these programs are at least on level pegging with LSE's program, and appear to have a more in-depth curriculum. Another thing to consider is that an Engineering PhD graduate may already have strong programming skills in C++/C/MATLAB etc, and or a strong mathematical background with a grasp of stochastic processes and stochastic calculus. In this case, the finance programs such as the LBS's Master in Finance and the Imperial's MSc Finance may be more suitable.

You read my mind. I was going to say that the LSE course is very hard to get into but I think it is not the strongest in the UK. In terms of the mathematical finance faculty there are no real huge names.

Imperial have Alex Lipton (even though I do not think he teaches), Lane Huughston and Dorje Brody which are all good lecturers (Dorje Brody taught me last semester)

Oxford would be the best choice I feel for career progression. With Imperial second and LSE third (taking how hard it is to get in aside)

@Lovjit, I'm guessing you're at Imperial College. Which program are you on, the MSc Mathematics and Finance or MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering?

Thanks, Timmi

Actually, LSE is the first school that sent me an admission. I also applied for Oxford in UK and Stanford, New York and Chicago in U.S. But no results received from these schools so far.

Hi Wuzhemin,
I have a similar background to yours and I've been looking for the right UK University to pursue an MSc degree in Financial Mathematics/Engineering. It seems most people make this choice based on a number of factors which include the cost, the prestige of the university, the reputation of the course within the financial sector, the proximity of the uni to the square mile, quality of the course content and so on and so forth. However, it seems to me that there is no stand-out UK universities when it comes to Financial Mathematics/Engineering. All there is is a group of top universities when it comes to this, i.e. Oxford, Imperial College, Warwick, LSE. By 'smoothing' the switch I guess you mean acquiring the right skills and knowledge a quant needs, and securing the right role. I recommend you research the other three universities so that you can make an informed decision. Have you considered universities in the US?

Lovjit, I also heard that. So, I'm very surpirised to receive my first admit from them. Maybe just because I was too lucky. :)

Are you studying in UK now? Which univ are you in?

I have heard that the LSE Financial Maths MSc is hardest financial maths program to get in to the UK.

I am a PhD student at Birkbeck in Mathematical Finance. The modules I get taught are the ones through the London gradutate school of mathematical finance.

Anyone who applied to Imperial(MSc Mathematics and Finance), Oxford(MSc MCF) or King's(MSc Financial Mathematics)?

@ekta, I'm applying to Imperial's MSc in Mathematics & Finance and Oxford's MSc in Mathematical & Computational Finance. Is there any reason why you prefer Imperial's MSc in Mathematics & Finance to their MSc in Risk Management & Financial Engineering?

@timmi

I don't know what's the exact difference between the 2 courses.

I applied for MSc mathematics and finance because it would have more mathematics than Risk Management and Financial Engineering, and I really like mathematics.

In addition, MSc Mathematics and Finance is run by the maths department at Imperial, which I guess is one of the best in UK, whereas risk management and fin engineering is run by the business school( definitely very good but probably there are better business schools in the UK [not 100% sure]).

Have you got any offers yet? I've got offers from King's (planning to turn it down) and Imperial, and I'm waiting for Oxford's reply.

@ekta and Timmi

I also applied to Oxford. When did you guys submit the application? I applied in early December and I was told in an email that my application was subject to the Jan deadline R2 review and the results will be expected to be out after mid March.

@wuzhemin
Same here!!
Do you think there are any chances that they reply earlier than mid-march?

@ekta

I don't know. You could try to contact them. Are you facing the response deadline for Imperial?

I haven't recived the formal offer pack in mail from LSE. I guess it's still on the way and they give me 6 weeks to submit the response.

@wuzhemin
I've not received any formal letter from imperial yet!! I guess I need to call them and ask.

Btw, why did you not consider Imperial or Warwick's financial maths? Their maths departments are very good. I didn't apply to Warwick as I'm already doing my undergrad here, otherwise I would have DEFINITELY applied.

@ekta

The reason is that I feel Imperial's course is too mathematical and computational to me. Compared with Imperial's course, I like the LSE's course more since it's more mixed up and is structured with collaboration by LSE's 3 departments(mathematics, finance and statistics).

Regarding Warwick, to be honest, I know little about it. Actually, I just planned to appy to only 2 U.K. schools, so I choose Oxford and LSE. I submitted 3 other applications to U.S. schools since I have been in U.S. for years.

Back