• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Graduate jobs for a 30 year old

Should I apply to graduate opportunities or experienced opportunities?

• Graduate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Experienced

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
So, I'm 30 and have been working for most of the time that I've been out of undergrad as a software engineer. A few years back I moved into software for hedge funds. I'm effectively a quant dev, but my title says software engineer.

I'm wrapping up a part-time master's degree in computer science soon, and I'm going to apply to some new jobs. My question is whether or not there is any point in me applying to graduate jobs, such as the ones here: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/quant-internship-and-graduate-recruitment-a-firms-list.10000/

It's a tricky question. I will have just graduated, but of course, I also graduated the first time, nearly a decade ago.

I really can't tell: are my chances better or worse with these graduate programs than my chances as a direct experienced applicant? I'm going to assume that most of these programs make a bit less money than I currently make, but I have no issue with going to a good place, that's going to help me build a better resume, even if the money isn't what I can get as an experienced software engineer elsewhere.

Does anyone know how someone like me would be viewed in the application process?

I guess you can apply as an experienced but recently also graduated :) . Im in a similar situation but it also depends on what you aspire to be !! Is your aim to become a quant eventually ? From what i've seen computer science masters wont really help if you are applying for a junior/entry level quant as they would be looking for a fair bit of math in your course work. Stochatic calculus and advanced probability. I work as a software developer in asset management , around your age and going to complete my masters in financial engineering in the next 6-7 months. I see myself applying for entry level quant jobs. Hope this helps. Again this is my personal opinion based on what I have encountered so far

Back