• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE (again)

I passed my GRE test today and got 800/410. I did not prepare for the Verbal part at all (and not much for the Math part). I think that the Verbal is not important for MFE (please correct me if I am wrong), but given my low grade, I think I should re-apply next month. I think this is the worst I can do in Verbal and preparing for few weeks should get me about 500-550 easily.
My questions for the forum:
1- Should I retake it? Do top 10 programs accept people with such a low GRE verbal?
2- Do schools take the highest Math score? I doubt getting anything less than 800 on the Quant next time, but what if I get 790 or 780. Will schools take that grade as my grade and not 800?
3- Beside Baruch, no other program publish details adm stats (too bad). I know that at Baruch, the 1st quartile range has included admits with lower GRE Verb (up till 2009 only), do you think I should re-apply for Baruch specifically or focus on the other items?

Thank you.

I can only answer for the Baruch MFE Program: as an interview is a mandatory part of the admission process before an admission offer would be extended, the ability to communicate in English will be checked at that time.

The fact that the lowest GRE Verbal of any admitted student in 2009 was above 410 was not due to a cut-off score.

Thank you Dr. Stefanica.
If I have Multiple GREs, do you look at the highest score in each section or to the scores of the last GRE or some kind of average?

Guys, anybody regarding my questions? Are GRE verbal not important at all? Can applicants get acceptance to top programs (Baruch excluded given that I have the official answer below) with verbal in the 400-4300?
Thank you.

Guys, anybody regarding my questions? Are GRE verbal not important at all? Can applicants get acceptance to top programs (Baruch excluded given that I have the official answer below) with verbal in the 400-4300?
Thank you.
If it helps you to feel better, my friend (International student) was admitted to Columbia MFE and Stanford FinMath with V350.

Cheers

Thank you Dr. Stefanica.
If I have Multiple GREs, do you look at the highest score in each section or to the scores of the last GRE or some kind of average?

In general, we look at the highest scores, provided the fluctuation in scores is not too big, as in
GRE Quant 1: 800
GRE Verbal 1: 410
GRE Quant 2: 600
GRE Verbal 2: 610

Back