• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Test. Tips?

I have my test next week after rescheduling and am due to apply for MFE programs for fall of 2012.

I'm pretty concerned about the test as it may be my only shot to take it as I will be working fulltime from July onwards, so ideally want to pass it in one go.

Despite being an engineering student at a top university in the UK, I find the math tricky. Primarily Algebra. I cant seem to apply the formulas to the question at hand. Anyone else experience problems particularly with the algebra portion?

Finally I was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips as my test is on Tuesday?

Thanks

I have my test next week after rescheduling and am due to apply for MFE programs for fall of 2012.

I'm pretty concerned about the test as it may be my only shot to take it as I will be working fulltime from July onwards, so ideally want to pass it in one go.

Despite being an engineering student at a top university in the UK, I find the math tricky. Primarily Algebra. I cant seem to apply the formulas to the question at hand. Anyone else experience problems particularly with the algebra portion?

Finally I was wondering if anyone had any last minute tips as my test is on Tuesday?

Thanks

I am assuming you have been studying from various books that help you be on top of your Math skills ... at this point (your exam is in 3-4 days) it is unnecessary to suggest new books... but if you post some sample problems... maybe people can try to help!?

Also... the ONLY way you can score well is to practice practice practice... try to find as many practice tests as possible and the solve them under final-test-like-atmosphere...

Once again... if you post some sample problems that you are having trouble with... maybe people can help...

GOOD LUCK~!

Thanks for the help. Its not so much a particular problem. I'm just having trouble applying the formulas to the question in the given time frame. Any other suggestions anyone?

Can you be more specific? What formulas? What questions?
#1 suggestion is take practice tests (Kaplan or Princeton Review are fine) and learn your pacing.

Does anyone know how important the GRE essays are?

I would say important but depending on the program you're applying to. I.E if its International Relations or something, perhaps more important than MFE

Can you be more specific? What formulas? What questions?
#1 suggestion is take practice tests (Kaplan or Princeton Review are fine) and learn your pacing.

Largely, applying algebraic expressions into questions. I havent done it in so long and havent managed to have it down cold.

I am taking practice tests but am scoring largely middling. Shall I put much credence into powerprep?

Largely, applying algebraic expressions into questions. I havent done it in so long and havent managed to have it down cold.

I am taking practice tests but am scoring largely middling. Shall I put much credence into powerprep?
I think powerprep should be the most accurate in terms of scoring.

take it before the new format takes place in August. the new format will make the exam even harder.

Well, after July 31st you'll no longer be able to score an 800.
Get everything right on the revised test and the best you'll score is 170...

I still don't get it why it will be harder? The problems will be harder or what? Who cares if the maximum is 800 or 170 ... you just need the maximum no matter how much it is???

If you get the maximum you would not care about the percentile and if you want to go for a quantitative career you should be able to get the maximum...

If you get the maximum you would not care about the percentile and if you want to go for a quantitative career you should be able to get the maximum...
True. I'm not saying that one should not get the maximum

Hey, your test is tomorrow so you should probably be reviewing hard tonight. When reviewing, don't waste too much time stuck on the same question. Mark it and you can return later. When you have all the troublesome questions marked (and you're done reviewing everything else) you can post the questions here and we'll answer.

You can also pm me if you need explanation for anything specific. I'll be free from about 10:30pm-2am GMT.

Does anyone know how important the GRE essays are?
Very. (disclaimer: i read MFE applications)
I pay special attention to your essay score. If your verbal score is above some respectable level, it's not having bonus of getting that extra points so your focus should be on getting the essay score as high as possible.
People can cram one or two month to get a high verbal score but you can't do the same thing on the essay. It's advised that you start using English as your main language as soon as possible.
With the proliferation of social network like FB, forums like this, there is no excuse to not get involved and get better.

Hey, your test is tomorrow so you should probably be reviewing hard tonight. When reviewing, don't waste too much time stuck on the same question. Mark it and you can return later. When you have all the troublesome questions marked (and you're done reviewing everything else) you can post the questions here and we'll answer.

You can also pm me if you need explanation for anything specific. I'll be free from about 10:30pm-2am GMT.

Thanks a lot Anbu.

I intend to. I'm just going through practice papers now. Verbal is easy to me, being a native speaker. My lowest practice test has been 740 so confident in that. Writing has always been my strong point so not worried about that either. had a look at the essay questions and largely will formulate an idea when I see a question.

Quant is still troubling me. Spent all night practising and took powerprep and got a 560. Which is real disappointing. I easily get 27,28 out of 30 on the practice tests not powerprep so really confused. I think my mentality of being wary of the quant is definitely playing a part. I'm very solid in Arithmetic, Quant comparisons, Geometry and Data. Algebra gets me from time to time, largely solving expressions in the given time.

I'll hopefully get to some more practice papers today. May be an all nighter for me tonight.

Thanks a lot Anbu.

I intend to. I'm just going through practice papers now. Verbal is easy to me, being a native speaker. My lowest practice test has been 740 so confident in that. Writing has always been my strong point so not worried about that either. had a look at the essay questions and largely will formulate an idea when I see a question.

Quant is still troubling me. Spent all night practising and took powerprep and got a 560. Which is real disappointing. I easily get 27,28 out of 30 on the practice tests not powerprep so really confused. I think my mentality of being wary of the quant is definitely playing a part. I'm very solid in Arithmetic, Quant comparisons, Geometry and Data. Algebra gets me from time to time, largely solving expressions in the given time.

I'll hopefully get to some more practice papers today. May be an all nighter for me tonight.

What kind of algebra? I've found the algebra on the practice to be straightforward. Work on foiling and recognizing where to foil.

What kind of algebra? I've found the algebra on the practice to be straightforward. Work on foiling and recognizing where to foil.

Fine on FOIL.

Issue may be a Q such as the following:

If square root of 3- 2x = 1, then what is the value of (3 – 2x) + (3 – 2x)2 ?
(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4

Whats the best way to answer this?

I tend to plug in numbers but that takes too long.

Back