• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Verbal - Does it matter for MFE for major programs

Do top tier universities like CMU, NYU, Baruch , etc...pay any attention to the GRE verbal score? Is there a ball park minimum score below which they will consider it negatively...

i think around 60 percentile is the level around which it is still ok. below 50 percent i think is looked a little negatively.

GRE scores by themselves will not get you in, IMO they are used to screen low performing candidates... that being said you can never go wrong with a score above the 90 percentile, anything lower than that and the top programs will start asking questions.

GRE scores by themselves will not get you in, IMO they are used to screen low performing candidates... that being said you can never go wrong with a score above the 90 percentile, anything lower than that and the top programs will start asking questions.

i think the person never asked if the GRE only will get you in grad school. His question is more like on importance of Verbal score and in my opinion 90 percent on verbal is not the threshold where questions get raised.

that being said you can never go wrong with a score above the 90 percentile, anything lower than that and the top programs will start asking questions.
If you are a domestic applicant, verbal is a moot point. I haven't seen many applicants with 90% percentile, the majority will be in the range of 450-550.
This is a technical degree so as long as you can demonstrate English speaking, writing ability, the program will admit you with some level of confidence that you can be understood in future internship/job interviews.

Also, a high verbal score does not necessarily correlate to one's English ability. I would say most American born MFE applicants have lower GRE verbal than their competitors from China/India/Korea whose essays sometimes have way too many basic grammatical mistakes to convince people that their 600+ verbal score is genuine.

You can cram the exam for a month and score very high in the verbal. You can't do that on the writing section.

Back