• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Verbal score

Hi everyone,

I am doing undergrad in Financial Mathematics (with 3.95 GPA) from one of the top schools in the US. I am applying to Carnegie Mellon, UCB, UChicago, and UCLA. Does anyone know how much these schools care about the verbal score in GRE. I am taking the GRE test in few weeks, and I don't feel well about the verbal. I wanted to know wether I should be worried about it or not?

Any insight or comment is appreciated,
Thanks.

Not a factor from what I’ve heard. One school person laughed when I asked if a very high verbal score would be received positively. True story.

Hi,
I recently took my GRE and got 158 in Verbal & 169 in Quant.
Shall I take GRE again as I'm not from the US?
Any thoughts??

Definitely qualified. Marginal benefit from taking GRE again is lower than improving in other aspects

True.
What shall I do in order to get higher acceptances?
An Indian guy working in a finance role(in India) in one of the Major US banks?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

It depends. Columbia Math fin really prefers a high GRE score. Their website says the median in 2018 was 161+170. But in general, 155+ in verbal will be good enough. Try to score 170 in quant and prepare well in AW. People with 150 in verbal get in top programs every year. Different schools have a different preference.

Back