• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE

When can I take the GRE and should I take both the Math Subject and the General GRE or is it not necessary.
Thanx

Hi,

I take it in the fall semester of my junior year. You can take it early, and you can have chances to take again if you dont get a good score for the first time. I dont think math sub is necessary but if you can get a good score for it (at least 80%), it definitely makes your profile stronger.

Muting

I would only take the subject test if confident to be in the top 25%. The Fall semester of the senior year should be a good time to take the tests.

Many schools, including Baruch, start reviewing apps in early December. I took mine at the end of October, giving me the most time to prepare, and allowing me to retake in November if necessary (you can only take the GRE once per calendar month). It takes 2-3 weeks for ETS to send your scores to you and the schools you chose.

This year the Math subject test was Nov. 11, but you don't get the scores until Dec. 15, so I decided it wasn't worth it (since this is past the deadline for many schools).

Does Baruch require the written portion of the GRE b/c I know SJU does not even care for the writing portion so they do not require you to take it. I am taking my GRE Dec 30. Thanx

I thought you are required to take all three part of the general GRE. Do you even have an option to not take the writing part of it?
As for Baruch, I saw the admission stats and they list all three parts (Math, verbal, analytical writing) so it's likely that you will just have to write well.

Writing and verbal GRE scores are not as heavily weighted as the quantitative score. Keep in mind that they can still judge your writing ability from your personal statement. The admission committee will be able to determine your speaking ability from a phone interview if necessary.

Back