• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Great Green Card news for people from China, India

I thought this is great news for members here who hail from these two countries
The bill eliminates limits on the number of green cards based on employment that is available annually to each country. Currently, 140,000 green cards are available each year for immigrants based on their job skills, with each country limited to 7 percent of those visas. Under the bill, after a three-year transition, all employment-based green cards will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis, with no country limits.
By far, the main beneficiaries will be highly skilled immigrants from India and China, including many with master’s degrees and doctorates in science and engineering.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/us/green-card-backlog-may-ease-for-some-from-china-and-india.html

I thought this is great news for members here who hail from these two countries

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/us/green-card-backlog-may-ease-for-some-from-china-and-india.html

Good for them but possibly very bad for the US, diversity is very important, especially when you're talking about skilled professionals.
Having peoples from various backgrounds and cultures helps allot.

Having millions of Chinese and Indians flooding the system is a bad thing, this can cause a severe reduction in the number of skilled immigrants from Europe , and I doubt that anyone wants to reduce the number of skilled Europeans immigrating to the US.

Good for them but possibly very bad for the US, diversity is very important, especially when you're talking about skilled professionals.
Having peoples from various backgrounds and cultures helps allot.

Having millions of Chinese and Indians flooding the system is a bad thing, this can cause a severe reduction in the number of skilled immigrants from Europe , and I doubt that anyone wants to reduce the number of skilled Europeans immigrating to the US.

Did you read the article completely? Here i will quote it for you,its starting few lines in case you missed it

In a rare show of bipartisan comity on the angrily contested issue of immigration
, the House of Representatives on Tuesday passed a bill that tweaks the visa system to allow more highly skilled immigrants from India and China to become legal permanent residents.

So we are talking about skilled labors and if some European has the necessary skills i don't think he will be discriminated just because he is not some Indian/Chinese.Also earlier i think there was longer waiting period for Indian/Chinese for having the green card because USA had policy of employment-based spots per country,regardless of the size of the country.
Hence the waiting period used to be longer for people from bigger countries like china and India compared to smaller countries.I think that's why they passed this law especially for Chinese/Indians.I don't think there are problems with waiting period in case of Europeans unless you want USA to consider Europe as a single country.

Was that post addressed towards my post ? If so,i didn't get the context Alexei Smirnov because yes i know such biases exist and there are many more biases like alumni preferring students from their alma mater,religious people preferring one from their religion.There are regional biases also.
But how come such things are more relevant now than they were before this law was passed?

Indians and Chinese are cheaper than Europeans. Right now Americans can only afford cheap labor.

Did you read the article completely? Here i will quote it for you,its starting few lines in case you missed it

So we are talking about skilled labors and if some European has the necessary skills i don't think he will be discriminated just because he is not some Indian/Chinese.Also earlier i think there was longer waiting period for Indian/Chinese for having the green card because USA had policy of employment-based spots per country,regardless of the size of the country.
Hence the waiting period used to be longer for people from bigger countries like china and India compared to smaller countries.I think that's why they passed this law especially for Chinese/Indians.I don't think there are problems with waiting period in case of Europeans unless you want USA to consider Europe as a single country.

You missed my point, if they will merge the cap and the 140,000 visas are now the world-wide numbers the relative part from India/China will rise way over the 14% of previous years, especially since its on first come first served basis.

The 140,000 cap will be reached by the applicants from India/China and thus lower immigration from other countries.

This deal went through because India opened its door to major US retailers. Walmart,Costco, etc can now operate in India, so in return a few more indians can get green cards - simple as that. It may lower wages for skilled professionals in the USA and increase the pool of candidates in the STEM fields.

In return walmart/costco will wipe out small businesses in India and add them to their payrolls. Walmart will have access to a market of 1.2 billion people.

Bottom line, the big corporations and politicians win ( the so call 1% percent) , doesnt matter if it is in India or USA.

Katrina said:
Bottom line, the big corporations and politicians win ( the so call 1% percent) , doesnt matter if it is in India or USA.
....as does everyone who isn't an Indian grocer or a highly skilled American professional, i.e. the vast majority of the population of both India and the US. Indians get lower prices, more efficient businesses and more choice in products. Americans benefit from increased competitiveness of domestic businesses.
It is astounding how popular protectionist nonsense remains in the 21st century.

Back