• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Guessing hat numbers

Suppose you and your friend are wearing a hat. I came and marked either 0 or 1 on both the hats. Both the numbers might be same or different. Now, you can see the number on your friend's hat but not your own. Similarly your friend can see number on your hat.
Now, I will ask both of you one question, "What is the number on your hat?". If at least one of you answer correctly then you are saved else I will kill both of you. What will you and your friend do?

Clarification: You and your friend can not communicate after the numbers are written. The only information available is the number on the other person's hat. You can decide the strategy beforehand.

I was under the assumption that if one of us answers correctly we are both saved. Not a single clue if that is not the case.

If at least one of you answer correctly then you are saved else I will kill both of you. What will you and your friend do?

Clarification: You and your friend can not communicate after the numbers are written. The only information available is the number on the other person's hat. You can decide the strategy beforehand.

Since you can speak beforehand, and only one of you needs to get the question correct. You both must agree that whoever answers first, says the number on the seconds guys hat. This way, the second guy will know his number and you will both be saved.

pplstuff: Lol, if only one of the guys needs to get the question correctly, then the problem is pretty easy and your solution works. I thought of it too, but I guess my assumption that both guys need to get their hats correctly made thing worse.

Back