• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Guide - Short Course on Financial Engineering

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. I work with an IT company as a business analyst. My work includes interest rate modelling, asset pricing and valuation (MTM computations). I've no formal qualifications on financial engineering, thus my knowledge is limited to the working level i.e. implemeting models in excel.
I know there are bunch of colleges that offer MS qualifications on Fin Engg. Due to time constraint and financial disability, I cann't pursue those courses.

Can anybody tell me whether there is any qualifications that can be earned while working as distance learning / self study mode with a cheaper cost? I reside in Mumbai, India and my undergraduate major was engineering. That way a solid mathematical foudation has been there with me.

Please advice.

I wish all of you a very happy and prosperous new year.

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy,

17 K $ is not that much cheap.
heard of Stanford University that runs a certificate programe on Quant Finance. Link is below.

http://scpd.stanford.edu/scpd/programs/certs/statistics.htm#quan

Total cost would be somewhere $10K. Can You evaluate this certificate course?
Also Stanford HK Campus runs a course on Financial Engineering. Not having details of that.
In case anybody come across ny short run course on Fin eng in HK and /or S'pore, please do let me know.

Best
Arghya

Hi Andy,

17 K $ is not that much cheap.
heard of Stanford University that runs a certificate programe on Quant Finance. Link is below.

http://scpd.stanford.edu/scpd/programs/certs/statistics.htm#quan

Total cost would be somewhere $10K. Can You evaluate this certificate course?
Also Stanford HK Campus runs a course on Financial Engineering. Not having details of that.
In case anybody come across ny short run course on Fin eng in HK and /or S'pore, please do let me know.

Best
Arghya

Willmott's CQF is well known. I don't know about those certicate programs that you mentioned. Do some research and let us know.

BTW, how do you want us to evaluate that Certificate program?

The Stanford certificate is 10K for only 3 courses. A bit expensive for my blood but not prohibitively expensive compared to other private schools ($1000 for a credit is the norm).
Anyway, what you plan to do with those 3 courses ? How is that useful enough for you ? How that 3 courses would provide enough education to get you a quant job ?

Anyway, IMHO, cert program would be the last resource when one can't attend brick-mortar program. Nothing beats a real MFE program.

The Stanford certificate is 10K for only 3 courses. A bit expensive for my blood but not prohibitively expensive compared to other private schools ($1000 for a credit is the norm).
Anyway, what you plan to do with those 3 courses ? How is that useful enough for you ? How that 3 courses would provide enough education to get you a quant job ?

Anyway, IMHO, cert program would be the last resource when one can't attend brick-mortar program. Nothing beats a real MFE program.

i agree on this: Nothing beats a real MFE program:)

Hi all,
many thnx 4 ur courteous reply.

I do work as a Functional Analyst so that way I'm not a pure or herd quant. I dont think being a quant structurer is my cup of tea, honestly!!! I wanted a coursework that would embedd a sound foundation of concepts of quant stuffs pertaning to investment management and / or trading etc etc. I've read few books on quantitative finace, very basic level indeed. Hull, Wilmott etc. These books laid a conceptual framework but they lack in ecnometric appraoch per say.

Got some info on Stanford. In HK they have a campus where they run a FE course. First batch have started on 30th Nov 2007. U can find the details at http://www. stanford.edu.hk. People who stay in HK may find it useful, though I'm not sure. All Stanford faculty will be teachin thr.

Best
Arghya
PS. Yes nothing can beat a real MFE:)....

Andy,
SCPD offers education via distance learning mode. Each course is equivalant of 3 units and 15 course work ( including your concentration) will eventually lead you to MS.
Those three courses would be expected to lay a sound foundation of quantitative framework which I can use while working on IR modelling etc.

As I've mentioned that "Being a quant developer or structurer is not my cup of tea!!" :wall

nyway, many thanx 4 being courteous to my nonsense questions !!!!
BTW, r u a trader?

The certificate program at Stanford is more suitable for people who already know enough and just want to add something to their portfolio.
I might actually consider taking a couple of online courses in the area of Statistical Finance :) but thats because what I'm interested in is not offered at Baruch.

Back