• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

H1B for Chinese Students

:) Hey guys I would like your information on Careers in the US with H1B Sponsorship!

I'm now an undergraduate, studying actuarial science in Hong Kong. I plan to come to US or Canada for a master's degree, then settle down right there.

I'm still not decided on whether I would choose a career in actuarial or quant. By now I still prefer actuarial--don't want to work too hard really.

I have read a lot of posts regarding jobs in US, mostly regarding actuarial. However, the more I read, the more I'm worried. It seems that US companies are just so reluctant to give visa sponsorships.

I guess this might also be true for quant, but I indeed heard several Chinese who found jobs in Wall Street. I wonder whether this is an indication that quant. jobs are easier to get sponsored than actuarial.
I posted a thread here:http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=240008

So anybody here who knows where those Chinese MFE students ended up? How many are able to land in US, and how many were obliged back to Hong Kong, Singapore or China?

From what I have seen / heard of entry level actuary positions around NJ, I don't think in general they sponsor for the entry-level.

However, since you have 5 exams passed, maybe they wouldn't consider you entry-level?

I do have Chinese friends out of quantitative MS degrees who have recently been sponsored (and work for financial firms), though I think it's difficult all around these days.

FYI, it would probably be hard to get a comparison of which is relatively easier to attract sponsorship (quant or actuary) because I don't think a lot of actuary types post here.

Good luck to you.

Generally speaking, it's hard to get sponsorship for H1b working visa in US nowadays. It's a big disadvantage if you don't have green card or citizenship but want to find an industry job in US. Generally, you are not preferred among equal-level candidates.

Back