• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Having trouble choosing for undergrad: Cornell vs CMU

Hi, I'm having trouble deciding between two schools: Cornell's Dyson Applied Economics and Management program, and Carnegie Mellon's School of Computer Science.

Having done research and asked around, I know that Carnegie Mellon's CS program is unparalleled for undergrad and that it's probably my best bet for becoming a quant, but I also really want to go to Cornell's Dyson program. I like the school as a whole much more, and I've heard that CMU's professional and social life isn't the best. I know these things may seem minor to some, but to me they do matter. I plan on doing a double major in Biometry and Stats at Cornell to make-up for the lack of an actual CS degree (since it's almost impossible to do a CS double major at Cornell). Is going to CMU that much worth it over going to Cornell, or would I still fare relatively well if I were to go to Cornell's Dyson school? Thank you.

P.S. The costs total to around the same amount.

yes, go to CMU and take algorithm/machine learning classes, with cornell you might need to get another degree to become a legit quant but with CMU likely not. do an SWE internship sophomore year and then a quant internship junior year and you should be set

Is it not worth at all then to go to Cornell? I heard their Biometry and Stats degree was very solid, and helps prepare you with stochastic classes and whatnot.

Not to be mean, but isn't this kind of a bad question? IF you are interested in being a quant, then the CMU CS program is the clear winner (and it is not even close). If you are interested in the life sciences or statistics in general, the Cornell sounds like your cup of tea. Biometry (???) and Stats will give you no advantage to leverage into a Quant career. Top-of-the-world CS program will.

i will say that while CMU CS was my dream program (would have given my left leg to get in at the time), i do fully realize that if i’d gone i wouldn’t have had much of a social life and this would have presented very clear problems

Well, it would be a bad question if I didn't have the context worded in the question. As I said, the other aspects of college matters to me, and I heard pretty bad things about the general quality of life for CMU students. I already know that going there would be great for starting my quant career, but I was wondering if it is still a good route to go to Cornell's Dyson program. I guess I'm also looking for someone who knows the Dyson program pretty well in the industry to be able to answer this question.

you should probably know that this forum are filled with master student so student life is a small factor to most of us. It probably be better to reach out on linkedin and search students from undergrad cmu and cornell in quant or swe internships. I only know that cmu has a great cs program, but in your shoes, I would choose cornell. I don't doubt that cornell doesn't have the resources to put you into tech or quant. The cornell name still goes a long way, but you will probably have less hand holding. You can compensate that by being around the right kinds of peers or clubs.

Instead of being a double major, I would just do CS and take the extra courses. Recruiters will not be amazed by your double major. Maybe you will get bits of brownie points, but what matters more is personal projects, internships, etc.

At the end, you have your whole life to become a quant, but only 4 years to enjoy college. I've visited cornell before, beautiful school and my friends loved the people. Do all the partying you want but remember what your goal is.

Go where your heart tells you. If you fell like that’s Cornell go there. End of the day the people who are smart enough will get where they want eventually. People get to good companies all the time, so just try to enjoy the time you have and do well wherever you go.

Back