• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help for a future undergrad from Italy

FedericoM

Fred
Hi. That's my first post here, hope I could get some advices.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I'm Federico, an Italian student, 18 years old, and I'll start my "Mathematical Engineering" college in September, at the Polytechnic University of Milan. My A-level scores was 100/100 and I'm sincerely interested in the Quants' field.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The fact is that Italy is not the ideal place to live in, if you want to be in Finance: most people don't even know what a "bond" or a "present value analysis" are. <o:p></o:p>
So as to "approach" the Financial world, I've read the Introduction to Mathematical Finance by S. Ross.<o:p></o:p>
Could you suggest me some interesting books? (I’ve seen your “Reading list”, but most of these books are still too hard for me: you’ve to consider that they’re in English, too).

To know if I'm making the "right move": Have you heard of "Mathematical Engineering" programs in other countries?
Then the internships’ topic: here banks do not offer such opportunities. Do you know any bank in Switzerland or UK that do it? Can I apply for also if I’m not an English citizen?<o:p></o:p>
Do they offer internship for students who have finished just the 1<SUP>st</SUP> year of undergraduate?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks in advance for every answers.<o:p></o:p>
Federico Maffioletti<o:p></o:p>

Getting a strong background in math and computer science (programming) is most important, as well as getting some exposure to finance such as the mathematical finance course that you can take in your 3rd year.

Math and computer science are key though, you really can't take enough of either. So the more the better.

Many of those books are going to be beyond your level right now. And regarding English, from what I've seen this field is currently dominated by English speakers so a majority of the books are in English. Just a fact of life. But here are a few beginner books that are non-mathematical that I would recommend:
Amazon.com: How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall
Amazon.com: My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance (0723812213009): Emanuel
Amazon.com: Liars Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street (9780140143454): Michael Lewis: Books
Amazon.com: Fooled by Randomness Revision (Not Available in US):

Getting internships is very important to get some firsthand experience and will help with getting a job later. Deadlines to apply for internships are usually very early though, the application deadlines for summer 2011 internships will be this fall at many big banks so apply early. Whether they will take you after 1 year, who knows, but I would try anyway.

Lots of banks in the UK do internships.

Back