• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help me decide reach/match/safe schools?

Hello all,

I just got my GRE scores and thought I should post my profile and see what you guys think.

Undergrad: UIUC (going to be a senior)
Major: EE
Minors: Math, Business, CS
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Math GPA: 3.7
GRE: V750 Q800 AW4.5
GRE Math subject: taking in Oct.
Math courses: Calc 1-3, ODE, Probability with Engr App, Fundamental Math (mostly proofs), LA, Statistics and Probability, Real Variables, Numerical Methods, Combinatorics, discrete math.
Programming: Intro Computing (C++), Data structures (C++ taking this fall), some Python, Matlab, Mathematica learned from various classes
Finance: Corporate Finance (taking this fall), Financial Markets (taking last semester)
Internships: Last summer I had a software testing internship, and this summer I am interning for a gaming company mostly using C++ to simulate the game results

Unfortunately I did not realize I wanted to do FE until last semester, that's why I'm taking the Data Structures and Finance courses this late. I know you guys don't do profile evaluations here, but it would be great if you could help me develop a list of reach/match/safe schools based on the info here. You are very welcome to leave any comments about areas to improve. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Hello all,

I just got my GRE scores and thought I should post my profile and see what you guys think.

Undergrad: UIUC (going to be a senior)
Major: EE
Minors: Math, Business, CS
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Math GPA: 3.7
GRE: V750 Q800 AW4.5
GRE Math subject: taking in Oct.
Math courses: Calc 1-3, ODE, Probability with Engr App, Fundamental Math (mostly proofs), LA, Statistics and Probability, Real Variables, Numerical Methods, Combinatorics, discrete math.
Programming: Intro Computing (C++), Data structures (C++ taking this fall), some Python, Matlab, Mathematica learned from various classes
Finance: Corporate Finance (taking this fall), Financial Markets (taking last semester)
Internships: Last summer I had a software testing internship, and this summer I am interning for a gaming company mostly using C++ to simulate the game results

Unfortunately I did not realize I wanted to do FE until last semester, that's why I'm taking the Data Structures and Finance courses this late. I know you guys don't do profile evaluations here, but it would be great if you could help me develop a list of reach/match/safe schools based on the info here. You are very welcome to leave any comments about areas to improve. Your help is greatly appreciated!

people have different preferences... some prefer the math side more and some prefer the programming side more. depends on what you want to do in the end

With strong letters of recommendation I think you have a strong profile. Consider picking up a few of the finance programming in C++ books (check your uni library). Look at the QuantNet rankings and research the programs to see which schools/programs/cities interest you; I think you should apply to some of the top programs.

Thank you all for your replies. Let me explain a little about my decision. My family is going to be in NYC, so I prefer going to school in that area. Not necessarily in NYC, schools like CMU and Cornell are close enough for me. I see myself more of a math person, but I do still enjoy programming so I don't have a preference in that regard. I eventually want to land a job in NYC so I can be with my family. In terms of what kind of job I want, right now I am leaning towards risk since the demand is rising and that is something I'm interested in. By the way, can someone provide the link to the article about the different career paths MFEs can choose from? Also, when is the 2011 rankings expected to come out?

Hi guys I have looked at the master reading list but could not decide where to start. Could someone suggest a book for me to get started based on my background? I would prefer a comprehensive and relatively introductory level book that includes some programming, some math, and some finance. Thanks!

Back