• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help out a fellow enthusiast!

Hi all,

I am an Indian undergraduate with a bachelor's degree in physics from the top undergraduate programme in the country, currently pursuing a masters degree in systems and control theory. The reason I chose to pursue this masters degree was that I loved the general mathematical structures of stochastic control, decision theory etc (I was somewhat exposed to this because of statistical physics). My master's thesis is broadly in decision theory and stochastic control.

The problem is that now that I have thought my priorities over with respect to my familial structure, academia seems suboptimal as a career for me. However I do want to go for a PhD. I spent time reading about basic quantitative finance and I believe this is the right path for me. However I don't see myself getting any research experience in quantitative finance before my PhD application (although the quantitative analytic structures I use are quite similar, both in my coursework and thesis research).

I wanted someone to mentor me so as to make better decisions before my PhD applications in December. I am hoping to get into operations research/financial engineering PhDs in top 20 US or top 5 UK or a few Swiss places.

Any advice for me is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Back