• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help out an aspiring quant in hs

I'm a Canadian high school senior applying for university. I was initially thinking of going into investment banking for the PE exit opportunities, however, I've recently been contemplating going into quantitative finance. The top target school for quant finance in Canada is Waterloo, however, I haven't been able to find data for other target schools for quant finance, only for investment banking which doesn't have the best exit opportunities for it. So I'd really appreciate any insights you may have on tier-1, tier-2, and tier-3 undergraduate programs in Canada for quant finance. Thanks!

I saw just study at a top math/company sci school in your country and do well. Many of my friends who studied physics and applied math in undergrad ended up working for Goldman because they had super high gpa’s in hard subjects. So focus on understanding the math and computer science and you’ll get a good job in the quant field if you maintain high gpa.

I saw just study at a top math/company sci school in your country and do well. Many of my friends who studied physics and applied math in undergrad ended up working for Goldman because they had super high gpa’s in hard subjects. So focus on understanding the math and computer science and you’ll get a good job in the quant field if you maintain high gpa.
My main concern with math and physics is that there isn't any finance/econ in the program. I like math, but I also want my program to be reasonably "finance-centric".

You could just take some courses such as option pricing, investments, etc on the side. They really care about the technical stuff more. Take a class on financial mathematics and you’ll learn more about fixed income goods. So you have many options with an applied math degree

compared to the lifestyle and pay of pe, quant is just not worth it
in pe you hit 300k easily in late 20s and 500k-1mm in 30s for pretty much a sales/relationship job without breaking a sweat

compared to the lifestyle and pay of pe, quant is just not worth it
in pe you hit 300k easily in late 20s and 500k-1mm in 30s for pretty much a sales/relationship job without breaking a sweat
can you hit 300k with a bachelor's after having worked in IB for a couple of years?

Back