• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help Required

Hi,
first of all this forum has been of great help for me.

I am an engineering graduate and want to pursue a career in Risk Managemnt.I have applied for fall 08 and have finalized Rutgers MSMF . Just want to know if this course is right for my career path .Would It help me to pursue a more direct FE course like the one in Polytech. The MSMF @Rutgers is a very intense mathematical one which I am prepared for.
Will This prove helpful if i later want to plan a career in RM/Mathematical Risk management because there are not many subs related to risk management.

Any help would be appreciated .

Check the Wiki and search the Forum. I don't know much about either program but, at least in this forum, the comments about Polytech are not too encouraging.

hey you coming to rutgers too? welcome to the club my friend.

true, Rutgers MSMF does have a strong emphasis on math skills and prides itself on the math department expertise.

but keep in mind it also has as part of its required core curriculum two programming classes in C++ implemenation for financial engineering (programming methodology for numerical computing, and computational finance) , as well as 2 other subjects entirely devoted to numerical analysis. thats 4 full courses on the computing side of MFE. so I'd say it more than meets the needs of a FE. anyway, these are just interchangeable names.

as far as i know, there isn't much coverd specifically for risk management. but you do have some interesting electives to choose from for broader scope, especially the one in credit derivatives.

Ya! I do know about the computer programming aspect of the program .just wanted to know that since its a MSMF prog, do people seeking a career in RM/Mathematical risk management really benefit from it as compared to the other progs.

Also I heard about the thought of getting many more elective subjects into the prog, any news on that yet?

Back