• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Help with MATH course selection for MFE

Hi,

I needed some guidance towards selecting MATH coursework which might prove helpful in MFE. So, far I have already completed all my calculus courses, along with diff. eqn. I am currently taking Numerical Analysis and Applied Diff. Eqn. I still have a choice for 2 more class which I can fit into my schedule. Some of the courses which I am looking at are:

Advanced Calculus
  • Euclidean space
  • Theorems of partial differentiation
  • Higher order derivatives
  • Calculus of vector fields, line and surface integrals
  • Conservative fields
  • Stoke's, Green's and divergence theorems
Complex Analysis with Applications

• Complex integration
  • Taylor and Laurent series
  • Residue calculus
  • Branch cuts
  • Conformal mapping
  • Rouche's theorem
  • Poisson integral formula
  • Analytic continuation
Introduction to Probability

Introduction to Probability
  • Probability spaces
  • Random variables and their distribution
  • Conditional distribution and stochastic independence
  • Special distribution
  • Sampling distribution
  • Limit theorems
I hope the quantnet family can provide me with value feedback as to which courses are worth pursuing from MFE's viewpoint.

swapnilchristian :: I would choose Advanced Calculus...Green's functions come up in special cases of linear differential operators, but I've never used ANY of the Complex Anal I learned in school, ie, this stuff is interesting (gauss, cauchy, and riemann were geniuses, but not useful for quant stuff) stick to Real Anal instead.

Oh and definitely Probability - I would say it's the benchmark.

bigbadwolf :: thanks for pointing that out, I didn't mean to confuse the OP - just wanted to bring functional analysis into the mix because it'll be in my studies this fall

PDE would have some functional analysis, Green's Function, heat eq (Black Scholes), Laplace which is used in probability, and many more benefits.

Back