• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

help with running a regression on nfl stats

Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some help with the best way to use my data.

After the challenge system was introduced into the nfl in 1999 the % of home wins went from 58.54% (from 1970-1998) down to 57.52% (from 1999-2009). I have data for all the games. I've got the variable ptsdif with home team score minus the away team score therefore a + = win and a - = a loss.

I firstly created a dummy variable for post99 which i made 1 and 0 would be for pre99 games. I ran the regression with ptsdiff as the dependent and post99 as the independent and got a p-value of 0.3379 for my dummy variable which i guess doesn't help me much.

I was just wondering if there is some other way I can use the data. I just want to be able to say there was or was not a significant change in home wins after 1999 which can possibly be explained by the coach challange rule.

Thank you.

My stats are a little rusty, but I think you might want to run a t-test. Tests for differences in means under various assumptions of population size and variance.

Ahh okay. So split the data into 2 separate pieces, and then run differences tests?

Back