• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Here are my qualifications, to which programs should I apply?

Hey, this is my first post. These forums seem helpful so I'm hoping to get some feedback as to what my safety/reach schools are.
Hopefully posting my grades below will be helpful, I don't know if a raw GPA is enough or if schools focus on specific aspects of a transcript...
I'm a Michigan State U math major, done with all the requirements (as of last spring actually), I'll be graduating this May.
My GRE is 800/500/4 and I took the Math subject test but only got a 630 which is 46th percentile IIRC. Is that worth submitting to any universities? I think I heard that at least for the top schools, anything below 70th percentile isn't worth it. Is this true across the board?
I was a physiology major for 3 years and got a 3.56 GPA during that time. I haven't done quite as well in math, with approximately a 3.05. I have a 3.37 overall right now.
here are my math grades shown with the semester taken
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]132 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]US05[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]T [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]UN[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Calculus I (AP test)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]133 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]US05[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]T [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]UN[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Calculus II (AP test)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]234 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS08[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1.5[/SIZE] (will appear, but score isn't factored in) [SIZE=-1]Multivariable Calculus [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]234 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS10[/SIZE] 4.0 [SIZE=-1]Multivariable Calculus [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]309 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS08[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]PI[/SIZE] (same) [SIZE=-1]Linear Algebra [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]309 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS10[/SIZE] 3.0 [SIZE=-1]Linear Algebra [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]310 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS09[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3.0[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Abstract Algebra I & Number Thry[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]320 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS09[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Analysis I[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]340 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS09[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2.0[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Ordinary Differential Equation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]360 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS09[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Theory Mathematical Interest [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]411 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS10[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]2.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Abstract Algebra II[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]421 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS10[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3.0[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Analysis II [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]481 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]FS09[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Discrete Mathematics I [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]MTH [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]496 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]SS10[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3.0[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Capstone in Mathematics

also thankfully while I was still in Physiology I took these classes for fun
CSE 231 SS07 4.0 Intro to Programming I (C++)
CSE 232 FS08 3.5 Intro to Programming II (more C++)
[/SIZE]

EC 201 FS05 3.5 Introduction to Microeconomics
EC 301 SS08 3.5 Intermediate Microeconomics
EC 310 SS08 3.0 Economics Developing Countries

My resume is pretty weak, I've only held 3 jobs: a service clerk at a grocery store, a caddy, and a busser/host for a restaurant. I've done some volunteering but it was a while ago. Actually I haven't worked since 2007 since I've done well enough in online poker (made $100,000+) that working for less than I could otherwise make didn't really make sense. I tried to emphasize all of the stats analysis that goes into being a winning poker player in my statement of purpose, but does anyone here know if that would be taken seriously? My parents seem to think that people in their 40s wouldn't respect it, whereas I feel that it could be a plus, if not something that sets me apart from other applicants. I could post the section of my statement on here if anyone wants to critique it.
right now I'm looking at U of M, Columbia, NYU, UofC berkley, BU, Claremont, USC, Florida state, and Baruch. More than willing to apply to others too. If any of these seem like too much of a reach then by all means let me know, its hard enough to fill out 5+ applications...
thanks

spade.gif

Quantnet must have done pretty well with the divine power. Yesterday, jesuschrist signed up on Quantnet, now we have another God.
I feel blessed ;)

100K+ for 3 years is 40K+ a year which good, not sure money in the long run.
You admit your math is good. Wanna to test if you are up to code with what you will be facing soon? Pick up Primer, Shreve's first book in our reading list. The first one is for pre-MFE students. The second one is required textbook for most first semester's Stochastic Calculus.

Master reading list for quants, MFE students

Do you struggle with the materials? If so it's a sign you aren't up for the top programs. Lesser quality programs will take you and your money but buyers beware.
Poker is a great skill to have. Some circles will value it more than others in finance. There are few members here who are professional poker players who went through MFE and doing well now. Search for Carl, a member here and read his posts. You may find some of his experience helpful.

Pick up Primer, Shreve's first book in our reading list. The first one is for pre-MFE students. The second one is required textbook for most first semester's Stochastic Calculus.
I think you meant either Stefanica for "Primer" or Shreve for "Stochastic".

I'm not sure you could get into an MFE program that would be worth your time/money in terms of future job prospects.

You're GRE is good, but GRE Math isn't high enough to send and your GPA is low.

Two options readily come to mind if you are set on doing an MFE: (1) use your poker skills to network and impress thereby getting you a job without an MFE or (2) get a masters in math/statistics/computer science at a higher ranked school while working part-time or doing relevant internships.

I'm not sure you could get into an MFE program that would be worth your time/money in terms of future job prospects.

Your GRE is good, but GRE Math isn't high enough to send and your GPA is low.

Two options readily come to mind if you are set on doing an MFE: (1) use your poker skills to network and impress thereby getting you a job without an MFE or (2) get a masters in math/statistics/computer science at a higher ranked school while working part-time or doing relevant internships.
I'm pretty sure I could get into at least one university in the top 20, you don't think thats worth it? like florida state has their requirements listed as 700/400 and 3.0 GPA so it looks like I could def get in there at least, are you floccinaucinihilipilificating their program?

spade.gif

Wow, how did you make 100K ? I made 10K a couple years ago, when I went down to 5K, I withdrew the money, lol....
where do you play ? and cash or tournaments ?

And, isn't poker a good skill to have in finance ? I think you should mention your poker skills in your SoP or resume...

I'm pretty sure I could get into at least one university in the top 20, you don't think thats worth it? like florida state has their requirements listed as 700/400 and 3.0 GPA so it looks like I could def get in there at least, are you floccinaucinihilipilificating their program?

spade.gif
LOL, where did you get this word, "floccinaucinihilipilificating" ?? is this the longest English word ?

LIKE !

EDIT:
I guess it is not the longest :
Longest word in English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spade.gif

Florida State isn't a bad school over all, but unless Wall Street moved to Florida while I slept, I wonder about your job prospects after graduating.

With no relevant finance work experience and I presume no network, I think you are better off putting yourself geographically closer to NYC.

Back