• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation for 2024 programs - should I apply to more safety programs?

Academic background:
Undergrad:
Pure math @ top 2 Canadian (95% average)
Master's: Pure math @ top 20 US (3.95/4 GPA)

Took some graduate statistics, measure theoretic probability during master's but that's about it. Undergrad coursework included some algorithms, combinatorics, graph theory etc but mostly focused on graduate level topics in topology, geometry.

I have self learnt Stochastic calculus, basics of options pricing but I have no certifications or a way to prove it other than my upcoming internship in related area.

GRE:
167 Verbal, 170 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Work experience:
2 research internships during undergrad, both in pure math topics.
1 internship in deep learning at an AI startup.

Upcoming quant finance summer internship at a bulge bracket in New York (in quant modelling).

Programs in Canada:
- Waterloo MQF
- Toronto MMF
- McMaster Financial Math

Programs in the UK:
- Oxford MSMCF
- Imperial MathFin
- LSE Financial Math
- Manchester Mathematical Finance

Other programs/EU:
- UvAmsterdam Stochastics and Financial Mathematics
- Maybe TU Munich Mathematical Finance and Actuarial Science.

I want to get into UK or Canada as much as possible. US is not an option for me.

Last edited:
It's been pretty hard to break in/land interviews for whatever reason. I graduated more than a year ago and I was able to get this internship due to a certificate program. New grad 2025 programs will be looking for people who graduate between May-Aug 2025 and the ship for 2024 seems to have sailed. I had been applying to both new grad and internship programs and the response rate for internships was far higher (most new grad analysts/associates were immediate rejects).

Back