• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hi, I need help

Hi,
I came to know about MFE programme only recently through one of my friends. I had plans for doing MBA(Fin), but after reading some of the posts here, I found that MFE suits me better, because I love doing computer programming(C, C++, VBA) and also, I am very good at mathematics. So, I think I will enjoy MFE more than MBA(Fin).
The problem is that it is big risk in terms of financial investment. The course will cost around $50k including all expenses, I have to take loan for that so I need to take this decision very carefully.
Considering the current crisis situation, will the placement justify $50k expense?

Manoj Dureja
India

I'm in the same position as you right now, mkdureja. Considering that the qualifications of a "good quant" are currently very much in transition, you should ask yourself whether or not what you'll learn will be useful 3-5 years down the line.

My answer to that is given the current state of things, it's better to wait on that MFE until you get a better picture of what the industry needs out of a quant.

You still have some time by 2011 and you will have a better idea whether you want to do an MFE by that time.
In the meantime, do some research on MFE programs of which some are in 301 Moved Permanently
On average, $50K is at the lower end of what a typical MFE program costs. You have to pay $50K to at least get a shot of a job, right?

Back