• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Historic analyst forecast earnings/dividends? Where to find?

I am currently running an optimisation of an investment strategy, that relies on analyst forecasts for equities.

For example, using an etrade account, take fundamental data for a previous year regarding earnings, book value etc etc, and use that to predict future earnings / returns on equity, etc. However, in the event that a market-moving piece of information is released, the earnings and dividends per share figures are updated in etrade (as a single, point in time value, predicting the figures for the coming two years), but no history of previous prediction values appears to be available.

Does anyone have any experience retrieving such a stream, and could you point me to where you found the info? Currently I am compiling data from etrade, yahoo, and have looked at google finance but that doesnt seem to have a query-able stream either.

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience retrieving such a stream, and could you point me to where you found the info? Currently I am compiling data from etrade, yahoo, and have looked at google finance but that doesnt seem to have a query-able stream either.

Thanks

I'm almost 90% sure Datastream has that information (http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/financial/financial_products/a-z/datastream/). We used it in our prop model 3 years ago. However it is not cheap. Ok, let me re-phrase it. From what I remember, it was extremely expensive.

If you are in school or associated with a school, you might be able to get access to Datastream.

Thanks alain, I am working on this of my own accord so unfortunately my funds are limited and my access to paid data is non-existent. That said, the only experience I had with Datastream was during my Masters degree, trying to load bond prices for some pricing models, and I found it extremely lacking in relational data... I don't know if it is any better these days.

On the plus side, my model seems to be very promising, and the forecast figures that I DO have access to don't seem to add much to the performance anyway, so go figure?

Back