• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Historic Industry/Sector Data

Hello,

I currently have a big database of ticker symbols going back about 20 years for the NYSE and NASDAQ, and am trying desperately to match up industry/sector data for each ticker. I know that EOD Data offers a "fundamental data" package that includes industry/sector info, but it's only for currently listed securities and they haven't responded to my support requests for info regarding now unlisted stocks. Does anyone know where I can find something like this (I'll take anything I can get)?

I'm also looking for a database of symbol changes for stocks that were delisted by NASDAQ/NYSE, went into the OTC Markets, and then were potentially even relisted on a major exchange. Does that exist somewhere? I have a request in to otcmarkets.com, but so far no response.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've searched high and low for this info.

-Nick

When I worked with Markit data before, they have a ticker change table to keep track of mergers, name changes, defaulted, etc. It's a chore to keep track of there single names among dozen of indices each contain hundred of names.
Whoever is your data supplier should have this too. If you get if off free sources like Google/Yahoo, you need to know their source and reach out to them.
If you are student at a big university, see if the library get hooked up to CapitalIQ or something and you can query their database.

Back