• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Homework Submission

Hi all,

I’ve read the post linked below regarding homework submission, but am still a little confused. I have files with the extensions
1) .sln
2) .vcxproj
3) .vcxproj.filters
4) .vcxproj.user

Do I delete these or keep them?

I also used CLion as my IDE at one point, which creates a CMakeLista file. Do you want that?

Yes; the rule of thumb is to delete everything besides your code files and project files (sln, vcproj, vcxproj)

@APalley , I remember reading this in a different forum but wanted to confirm before my first submission
I am using Eclipse in mac. In this case I should just be kepping .c/.cpp and .h files? There is a debug folder along with this source file and nothing else

@APalley , I remember reading this in a different forum but wanted to confirm before my first submission
I am using Eclipse in mac. In this case I should just be kepping .c/.cpp and .h files? There is a debug folder along with this source file and nothing else
Correct

@APalley , As a follow up, why does my .cpp file not run unless I open the .sln file as well?
The Level 1 files do not include the .sln files. Currently I am copying and pasting the source code into new files to run them. Is this correct?

Thank you.

@APalley , As a follow up, why does my .cpp file not run unless I open the .sln file as well?
The Level 1 files do not include the .sln files. Currently I am copying and pasting the source code into new files to run them. Is this correct?

Thank you.
Code must be part of a project to run it.

Correct

Code must be part of a project to run it.

Correct
Thank you very much. In that case, (after creating a project) is it best practice to work/edit the .sln file and have it automatically update the C++ source code? The differences between the two file types and their roles in the development process are not clear to me.

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you again.

Thank you very much. In that case, (after creating a project) is it best practice to work/edit the .sln file and have it automatically update the C++ source code? The differences between the two file types and their roles in the development process are not clear to me.

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you again.
The sln file is simply the solution file; it has nothing to do with the code. We also have the project file (.vcproj). These keep track of the code files within the project. There is never a need to directly modify those; when you add/remove code files from your project they will automatically update.

The source files contain your code.

Hello @APalley ,

I am trying to upload level 1 file but it says the zipped file is too large. Is there another way to submit the assignment. Perhaps via email? It sends correctly via email.

Hello @APalley ,

I am trying to upload level 1 file but it says the zipped file is too large. Is there another way to submit the assignment. Perhaps via email? It sends correctly via email.
You need to delete all the extra files and folders, per the submission instructions, including hidden folders. The resulting zip file should be in the low kb

You need to delete all the extra files and folders, per the submission instructions, including hidden folders. The resulting zip file should be in the low kb
Extra files being the solutions and project files?

@guergabo Make sure you delete vs folder (it is hidden, you need to right click, select properties/attributes). The only things in the folder should be:
1) .sln
2) .vcxproj
3) .vcxproj.filters
4) .vcxproj.user
5) main.cpp
Then, right click level 1 folder and choose send to compressed folder

@guergabo Make sure you delete vs folder (it is hidden, you need to right click, select properties/attributes). The only things in the folder should be:
1) .sln
2) .vcxproj
3) .vcxproj.filters
4) .vcxproj.user
5) main.cpp
Then, right click level 1 folder and choose send to compressed folder
thank you. i deleted the debug folders and it is still pretty heavy. It seems that i do have hidden files. How do i delete hidden files?

Back