• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How bad is my GPA

Hey guys,

I am planning to apply for msfe programs next year, I just graduated with Masters in Econ from a decent school in the US with a 3.75/4 GPA; is that a good enough gpa to get me into top 15 financial engineering programs? It is worth mentioning that I have actually took their phd level courses, and passed their phd qualifying exams.

High GPA is a necessary but not sufficient condition. Probably you’re close enough GPA wise, but take a very thorough look at the prerequisites and start chipping away at those at an accredited institution if you have gaps. The Econ PhDs I know have rather limited programming and math relative to quant investors. The C++ course here is quite good, and schools will take that for prereq credit. Also, 170 on the GRE is achievable and worthwhile if you want a top 5 program. You can get in w lower, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

High GPA is a necessary but not sufficient condition. Probably you’re close enough GPA wise, but take a very thorough look at the prerequisites and start chipping away at those at an accredited institution if you have gaps. The Econ PhDs I know have rather limited programming and math relative to quant investors. The C++ course here is quite good, and schools will take that for prereq credit. Also, 170 on the GRE is achievable and worthwhile if you want a top 5 program. You can get in w lower, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

looking at the prereq is a good idea, I have been doin that, also yah I have 170 GRE, that has been taken care off, prob need to start coding a lot more :)

Back