• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How can you improve the prediction of asset returns with Machine Learning ?

One method you can improve the prediction of asset returns with Machine Learning / Deep Learning is by using a custom loss function that echoes the objective of the algorithm !
All errors in prediction do not lead to error in investment... some lead to wrong investment decision, others have no financial consequence.
Translating this asymmetry in the algorithm improves significantly the quality of the algorithm and its efficiency once tested live.

To know more about the WHY and HOW, read the latest research paper https://ssrn.com/abstract=3973086.
Please share your comments and suggestions !

you build a time machine. travel to future and get the data and fit your model with that :)

ps if you do build that please let me know I will invest all my life saving to your fund
Count me in! I can give an advanced C++ course on the way there to keep people sharp. We need a good internet connection with the TAs.

Last edited:
you build a time machine. travel to future and get the data and fit your model with that :)

ps if you do build that please let me know I will invest all my life saving to your fund
Just read the paper... you'll understand. with AI, you can avoir some downturns and marginally beat a buy & hold strategy.
Data and code for loss function on ssrn 😉

Back