• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How did you know about Quantnet

Complete hazard ! i am a lucky man.. Hope to be just as lucky in the upcoming hours and days ;p

Browser cache has all the answers: I googled "math finance nyu columbia"; although that may be the last search query I used to get over here among others...

I just stumbled on it using Google. I think I was searching "quantitative finance" or "quant masters programs."

Quantnet was the first thing that came up when I googled- Ranking of Financial Engineering programs.

Would really love to hear from the new members of how they discovered QuantNet.

Forum are for old geezers like me :)
I am curious where the youngsters hang out these days?
There aren't many youngsters online that are interested in quantitative finance, the ones that do exist generally use Discord and some are also on Reddit.

Forum are for old geezers like me :)
I am curious where the youngsters hang out these days?
There probably is a lot of discord use. It's mostly people you already know that you would talk to about this stuff. I had never been on WSO or Wilmott until I saw them mentioned on here. There doesn't appear to be much of a quant presence on WSO, and the format was strange to me.

I found quant fin. by following a book trail that seemed interesting; by finding a good book and then researching names that author had mentioned. Until I found this site I had read more authors who qualified as quants than I knew actual people who even knew what a quant was (5 authors, 2 people).

The trail looked like (Chris Voss -> Daniel Khanman -> Taleb -> Mandelbrot
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Spitnagel -> Clauswitz
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Derman
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Ayache
Arrows are meant to show branches from Taleb. I tried using spaces but when I hit post the formatting lined them all up on the left.

There probably is a lot of discord use. It's mostly people you already know that you would talk to about this stuff. I had never been on WSO or Wilmott until I saw them mentioned on here. There doesn't appear to be much of a quant presence on WSO, and the format was strange to me.

I found quant fin. by following a book trail that seemed interesting; by finding a good book and then researching names that author had mentioned. Until I found this site I had read more authors who qualified as quants than I knew actual people who even knew what a quant was (5 authors, 2 people).

The trail looked like (Chris Voss -> Daniel Khanman -> Taleb -> Mandelbrot
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Spitnagel -> Clauswitz
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Derman
----------------------------------------------------------------------> Ayache
Arrows are meant to show branches from Taleb. I tried using spaces but when I hit post the formatting lined them all up on the left.
Are there specific discord channels?

Are there specific discord channels?
Quantnet users have created a discord to study. Not much is going on right now. We have yet to establish a good plan. Most of us are still full time students. Quasar and I are probably going to end up going through some of Neftci's math fin. book. But I'm going to have to switch over to Abott's understanding analysis and the C++ course when summer hits (to prep for courses I want to take while studying abroad). So I'm not sure I'm of much use at the moment.

Would really love to hear from the new members of how they discovered QuantNet.
Thanks for reviving the thread! I discovered QuantNet in February 2022. I was talking to two friends, both with degrees from top MFE programs, about quitting my Math PhD program and joining a MFE program instead. They suggested me looking at QuantNet's ranking at that time.

Thanks for reviving the thread! I discovered QuantNet in February 2022. I was talking to two friends, both with degrees from top MFE programs, about quitting my Math PhD program and joining a MFE program instead. They suggested me looking at QuantNet's ranking at that time.
Funny enough, I was in my second year Math PhD when I learned about MFE degree by chance. QuantNet did not exist then. The rest is history as they say.

Back