• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how do I network?

Hey guys, first post here :)

A little bit about me: I am an Applied Math student going into my 4th year at York University in Toronto, Canada. My GPA is about 3.2. Hoping to boost it up next year (my last year). I also have about 7 -8 years of programming experience. C# mostly. However the problem is that the only knowledge of finance I have is from what I've read (books, reddit, globe and mail).

The more I read, the more I get discouraged :( Is it really that hard to break in? I've been on LinkedIn trying to find people that are quants.

Should I add everyone to my connections? Should I email them asking for a coffee or lunch? Would people mind that someone they havn't met wants to see them?

Also since I will be graduating next year with a bachelors, are their any entry level jobs for bachelors only? I want to do my masters/phd however I am scared that after I spend time/effort and money on a grad degree, I still may not be able to find a job. But if I can find an entry level position (or even an internship) it would be beneficial.

Thanks!
PS: Any quants here from Toronto area?

Is it hard to break in? You better believe it.
Shops that hire out of undergrad? If you can find an open-minded one that you convince to send you a programming assessment, show them that you can do some sort of work by way of said assessment, and request to prove yourself before receiving an outsize paycheck (read: you're going to be poor your first year), then sure, you can get a job in some under-the-radar shop that's going to make sure to thoroughly vet each and every candidate and pay them a pittance and let all of the brand namers go to the brand name banks.

In the meantime, if you cut it, you'll know it.

Try www.ycif.com (young canadians in finance) , it's a 50$ membership, but they host a lot of social events, conferences, etc.

Best 50$ I spent last year. Got me a job too!

Sorry if I look like an ad men.

Try www.ycif.com (young canadians in finance) , it's a 50$ membership, but they host a lot of social events, conferences, etc.
Dibbs
That site links to another domain that is for sale. The correct one is http://www.ycif.org/eng/
Tell the guys there to use the membership fee to buy the .com domain. No business should operate without a proper .com domain ;)

Back