• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How does experience impact your job search?

I guess I'm wondering...is there any advantage to being an 'entry level' and hence "cheaper" hire? Also, once you get your first job...does it really matter whether or not you have a Ph.D.? At what point does experience start to work against you? I know in some fields it's actually more difficult to find work once you have some number of years of experience...the argument being (I'm assuming) is that it's cheaper to find someone with less/no experience and then spend a few months training them. Then again, most jobs I've had in my life expected folks to sink or swim without any training at all...that's one of the things that made those jobs so special ;-} Finally, I'm curious...are most jobs found by contacting outside recruiters vs. applying directly to the banks?

-Jeff

Back