• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How does quant pitch a stock?

Hey everyone.

If you get ask in a job interview to pitch a stock, what would you say if you are not single stock picker?

I have an algorithm for stock picking based on overall analysis of the market; say I select top 50 stocks based on my indicators, and then do some form of portfolio optimization with these 50 stocks, which usually yields around 20 stocks in the end into which I invest in. That is I don't really care about stock picking based on fundamental analysis. And it's been working quite well.

Is this a legit answer if someone asks me to pitch them a stock?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Candidates with prior investing experience are generally asked the 'pick/pitch a stock' question as far as I have seen

Given you want to do quant investing, it's unlikely that you will want a job for which "pitch a stock" is an important interview question.

Back