• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin How good is the MIT Master of Finance Program, Really?

The recent spate of banner adverts on QuantNet has again made me wonder, how good is the Master of Finance program by MIT, really?

If it's as good as they say and if they're really getting a thou apps a year and placing them all in excellent positions in the world, why advertise?

If they're advertising here for students, how popular will it be among recruiters?! What are your thoughts?

My coworker was part of the inauguration class in 2009. According to his comments, MFin @ MIT is not a quant program. His class basically took finance courses with the MBA students.

His didn't comment on the quality of the education, but he said a LOT of companies recruit from MIT but not specifically from MFin. You compete for the same jobs against other MBAs and undergrad/grad students.

I've got an admit to the program, and I am wondering if the investment is worth it. How does this program stack up against say CMU or Columbia?

Please give me your opinion, I have already checked out the QuantNet rankings.

I agree. Like many other free-thinking fellow Chinese BS(Fin) grads, I want to get into S&T and work in the states, maybe settle down there. I would like to attend a course that equips me for this. Which course do you think makes the most sense for this?

That's not specific reason enough to know which is better for you. MBA or plenty of other degrees may provide the same result.
What would you envision yourself doing in S&T and what specific skills you have that employers want.
A degree from any of programs you mentioned is no longer a golden ticket to financial rich. There are whole lot more people in the market and you need to have an edge, not just "like many other free-thinking fellow Chinese BS(Fin) grads".
Without specifics, I do not believe we can say "this is better for you than that".

I agree. Like many other free-thinking fellow Chinese BS(Fin) grads, I want to get into S&T and work in the states, maybe settle down there. I would like to attend a course that equips me for this. Which course do you think makes the most sense for this?

like andy said, you need to determine where you want to go in s&t and why. without that info, you're going to have a very hard time selling yourself come interview time, even with a brand name on your resume.

and your usage of free-thinking is about 180 degrees off of what it should be.

My question was a little different, Andy. What I would like to know if the MFin at MIT is one of the programs that may get me there. Specially a job that also gets me a work visa to the US.

But their track record (whatever little there is) suggests they had to place most of their grads outside of the states. Any comments, Andy?

But their track record (whatever little there is) suggests they had to place most of their grads outside of the states. Any comments, Andy?
Not sure why 2011 placement stat has not been published. 2010 stat was published by Dec 22 last year.
Until we see this year number, I wouldn't put much weight on data from the first year with small data numbers.

The admit letter I got from them made a very vague claim that "91.5% of the Class of 2011 found a job within 3 months of graduation."

Dunno what to make of it.

mfegrad, I apologize.

But what is you guys' experience, when it comes to H1 sponsorship by Fin firms? Are they willing to sponsor H1s? Is the smaller OPT duration a problem? Are there quotas for Indians etc. that make it more difficult for other nationalities like me?

Back