• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How GRE Verbal score is important for MFE admission?

How GRE Verbal score is important for MFE admission?

Most of top school showed that their avg GRE Verbal score is around 158-160

Is it critical to get that amount of score for Verbal section?
Does admission committee care about GRE Verbal score?

Thank you

2 programs literally laughed when I tried to impress them w/ my verbal score. "ya, we don't care about that. at all"

1 May I ask which 2 program? Did you say your verbal score during the interview?
I'd prefer to keep the discussion general, but both were top 10. For the first, I asked straight up how impressed would the committee be w/ the score. For the second, I mentioned it in passing and got kind of the same response. It took me a few tries to get a high enough quant score. It was to the point where the testing center would keep my preferred table open like I was a regular at a fine restaurant. So I had a lot of practice on the verbal.

I mean having high verbal is not going to fluff your application but no one said a lower GRE verbal is going to help(No one in the top 10 MFE programs will take you seriously if you scored a 150-152(Or below) on the verbal). If you score a 158-160 on the verbal and 167-170 on the Quant then you have done all you can for standardized exams and raising your verbal most likely has diminishing effects . Likewise if you score 165 or higher then it doesn't hurt but it doesn't benefit your application either. If you were a English speaker then of course, they expect to these standards that other students have. If your scoring below a 160 I suggest you read as much articles and remember as much as words as you can. I remember I started out on the verbal with a 142-145ish? I raised it by 15 points in over a year without practicing much verbal(Pm me for resources I used).

Last edited:
Back