• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much AWA of GMAT is important? What about subject GRE?

Hi friends,
I want to pursue MS (Finance/inancial Engineering/Computational Finance/Mathematical Finance/Financial Mathematics/Quantitative Finance) in 2010.

Recently I've cleared GMAT with following score.
Quant - 51 (99 percentile), possibly the maximum feasible score.
Verbal - 30 (56 percentile)
Total - 680 (86 percentile)
AWA - 6.0 (87 percentile), possibly the maximum feasible score.

Only Verbal is doing the mess. In all the Universities offering MS in Finance/Financial Engineering/Computational Finance/Mathematical Finance I've seen that they are mentioning about GMAT total score, some are emphasizing on Quantitative score, but regarding AWA they are just silent.

Is there any importance of AWA at all?
I've never practiced any witting passage, just seen the two examples of KAPLAN, that too on the last day. It's really disheartening if AWA doesn't matter at all. Please give some knowledge for me. Thanks in advance.

I've done my BTech from IIT and MTech (Comp Sc) from ISI Calcutta, both being elite institutes of India, but my grades are quite average, even in Mathematics! So how can I make up for those? I'm working for an analytics start up in India and dealing with Mathematical and Statistical Modeling for Retail and Banking. But does that make up for average Maths grades?

What do you advice me to compensate the grades? PRM/FRM or Subject GRE in Mathematics? I'm already preparing for PRM just because I like the course content. CFA doesn't have much quantitative component so far I understand.

I've not appeared for General GRE and I noticed, only those universities who accept only GRE score for MS Finance admissions, also mention subject GRE Mathematics. Those who are open to GRE & GMAT or mention only GMAT, they keep mum on subject GRE Mathematics. I wrote to Trinity College, Dublin, the person just copy pasted the requirement and sent to me. Possibly he has not seen my mail at all.

Great responsibility indeed! Please advice me what I should do to compensate for average grades.

Thanks in advance.

- Indranil,
Bangalore,
India

not very important, esp. not when they are looking for quant oriented people, but you dont want to ridicule yourself when it comes to written communication. You got 6.0 though, so nothing to worry about.

An American student with 8 years experience goes to study MBA in Dublin and cannot find a job for 6 months after graduating...

Sounds like a science fiction.

Back