• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How I became a Quant? - Toronto

Joy Pathak

Swaptionz
How I became a quant

Anyone going to it? Is it worth going to? Has anyone gone to it before?

I don't mind doing a 4 hour drive upto Toronto tomorrow morning to attend it. There is a special recruiter session too. I am assuming it will be mostly for Toronto jobs?

I want to go check out and talk to 2-3 of the panelists possibly, but that is about it. Will I even have the opportunity to do so?

I am volunteering to organize a "trading competition" on the Toronto RIT software for high school students tomorrow at my university(4 hrs away) also, so I would have to cancel on that, which I don't entirely want to unless you guys suggest this event is worth it? I can have others run the competition.

How often do they have these?

Lol . Never mind then. Decided not to go, and stay back and go through with helping out organizing the trading competition on the RIT software for high school students.

Hi Joy Pathak,

I am living in Toronto right now, and I attended this event yesterday.

John Hull chaired a ~1.5 hour session with Davoudy, Avellaneda, Peter, and Chuang Yi.

Marco had a Blackberry message within the first 15 minutes of the panel discussion, and got up and left the room for the next 30 mins, so didn't participate much! Not even an acknowledging apology!

Topics addressed were:
Why each of them left their academic PhD careers to work for a short time in the industry and then returned to academia.

Questions from the audienec ranged from "Can you critique my resume? I am not getting interviews" (in a heavily Indian accent) to "Do I even bother getting a PhD"? In fact, for much of the discussion, the PhD being on trial was the central theme of the event.

During the discussion, none of the panelists breathed a syllable about their MathFin program at NYU.

Chuang Yi arrived at McMaster from China in 2003, to do a MSc and a PhD in financial mathematics at the Math Department. at a Chinese canadian community event, he was asked whether he wanted to interview for a couple of internships at RBC where they needed exactly what he was studying. He did 2 internships and then went there permanently.

After the discussion, I managed to chat for a few mins with Davoudy, as well as Peter.

I asked: "Maybe this is not a fair question, but how useful is the MathFin program at NYU? I graduated from MIT with a masters degree in geophysics in 2008, but I am having trouble being taken seriously for finance positions, and I thought the MathFin degree would prove that I am serious about it. I am hearing all sorts of things about the program--everything from being a cashcow from the gullible, to being a passport to the US for Indian and Chinese citizens. I am also having trouble finding statistics on placements."

Davoudy's answer: "The NYU program is respected in the industry. there is nothing called learning 'what you need to learn' to get a job, because what the industry needs changes from day-to-day. eg. Structured is dead these days...risk management is the new superstar."

Peter's answer: "NYU program is respected. We don't publish placement stats, but we give them out at our info sessions. We have 100% placement. The FE at Columbia (Emanuel Derman's) has 50-75% placement. Even that is good. The MathFin at columbia (Smirnov's) is a much smaller program...no idea about placement stats)."

My own observations: Marco and Peter all once worked in the industry, but are now academics. They didn't really seem to have direct links with the industry (maybe I'm wrong, maybe they were modest about all their personal connections in the industry which they use to place their students)....My gut instinct is that the COurant math department is run exactly like the MIT Math department. this is great for the faculty, who are rockstars and live life and run their careers on their own terms. Students, however, get little out of it other than the reputation of attending that school.

There were HR reps from Scotia Capital, TD Canada Trust, Bank of Montreal, Algorithmics, and R^2.

The wine was OK, canapes were OK.

What I got out of it:

I am still debating whether to attend NYU, Columbia MathFIn, or just screw this whole thing and continue searching for a finance position while staying on at my current job.

I didn't get the best impression of NYU---I don't think I'll get as much out of it as I thought. I am not attending there for sure.

MathFin seems more personal, but I still don't know enough.

What was their conclusion? Can you elaborate any on this? Thanks.

The conclusion reached (in my understanding) was this:

A PhD is a classical degree. It was intended to train future faculty members, who could teach--this is still a requirement to get a PhD in some countries.

Over the past few decades, people in industry have come to realize that there more to getting a PhD than just knowing an arcane subject in depth and knowing how to stand up at a board and teach.

Quote by Davoudy: "PhDs know how to work by themselves. You don't have to tell them what to do. If you leave a PhD alone in a room with a pencil, paper and computer, they won't fall asleep like everyone else. They'll get something."

(NB-- he said "something", not necessarily 'the correct thing' or 'what is wanted' :) )

As a result, industry likes PhDs. A PhD is never useless.

My personal observation: This seems to contradict what I saw--a room full of PhDs (judging from the show of hands for "who is a PhD here?"), unemployed and requesting resume critiques!

Bear in mind: This was the conclusion reached by 4 panelists, all of whom are PhDs. As John Hull put it about 2/3 of the way through: "OK enough! No more about PhDS. Questions about PhDs are now banned! (GRIN)".

Lordvid,
Thanks for the nice summary. Peter is actually Petter.
This runs along the line with what others and I experienced: most of the time, the panelists are juniors with a couple of industry experience since the target audience is students, the event is hosted by one of the many MFE programs, the questions are variants of "how do i get a quant job".

Asking the panelists to critique resume is a bit off the beaten path and the onslaught on the usefulness of PhD degree by a bunch of unemployed PhD just made the wine more appreciated.

What a nice way to spend a sat afternoon!

Back