• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How important is the location of the University?

I wanted to ask if location actually plays a huge part to get a good job.

For example: What difference does it make for an Ncsu grad vs a NYU or a Columbia grad?

From what I've seen, companies in and around the college would prefer to hire someone from one of those colleges. And the career team usually has some connections within those companies. However, with everything now on zoom the relevance of this has greatly reduced but it still helps.

I live and work in NYC so I may be biased toward the desirability of big cities to attract talents but I can give you a few reasons to consider.
  1. Access to job opportunities: The location of the university can impact the availability of job opportunities in the area. Universities located in urban areas often have better access to job opportunities compared to those located in rural areas.
  2. Industry concentration: The concentration of industries in a specific area can impact the availability of job opportunities for graduates. For example, universities located in technology hubs such as Silicon Valley are likely to have better job opportunities for technology-related fields.
  3. Networking opportunities: The location of the university can also impact networking opportunities for students and alumni. Universities located in major cities may provide access to more networking events and job fairs, giving students a better chance of securing a job after graduation.
  4. Cost of living: The cost of living in the area can also impact job opportunities. Universities located in high-cost cities may have a harder time attracting employers due to the high cost of living and doing business.
  5. Competition: The competition for job opportunities in a specific area can also impact the job prospects for graduates. Universities located in highly competitive cities may have more graduates competing for the same job opportunities.

I wanted to ask if location actually plays a huge part to get a good job.

For example: What difference does it make for an Ncsu grad vs a NYU or a Columbia grad?
Very. Especially if your not at an ivy. That being said those schools are a bad example. NCSU is in a better location than a lot of mid tier schools (like Georgia Tech). Charlotte is a huge hub for banking and there are a lot of risk quants and some front office stuff there. I've seen plenty of NCSU grads at Wells Fargo and BoA.

Very. Especially if your not at an ivy. That being said those schools are a bad example. NCSU is in a better location than a lot of mid tier schools (like Georgia Tech). Charlotte is a huge hub for banking and there are a lot of risk quants and some front office stuff there. I've seen plenty of NCSU grads at Wells Fargo and BoA.
What about UChicago? That is not an ivy but has a great location right?

Back