• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How important is the work experience for applying for MFE program?

I am currently a day trader. Since I was majored in actuarial science and right now my friend's team has an actuarial analyst position available, I am thinking about swiching to that position so that I can have a better looking resume: a “real" job and stronger quantitative backgroud.​

I enjoy trading and am doing very well. In fact, I am mentoring a few students now. But getting a master's degree will open a door to become a trader for insitution or big fund in my home country. A better resume will certainly help me gett into a better university?​

Btw, I do have passed SOA actuarial exam P, FM, M,C. Will it help demonstrate my qutitative ability?​

GPA3.47/4; GRE: 650/800;​

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!!​

Forgot to mention, I have a few months work expirence at Fidelity Investment as a pension spectialist. It probably won't help though....

Will it help demonstrate my qutitative ability?
GRE: 650/800;
What is 650? Is that your Q or Verbal? If it's Q, then the answer is no.
Retake GRE and get perfect score on the Q.
If you are doing well trading and enjoy it, that can translate into a more focused essay.
Get more hands on technical skills.

thanks for replying Andy,

Q800,V650, but AW 4.0..

thinking about taking GRE Math Subeject, will it help at all?

Also, would 3.47/4 gpa be a big disadvantage?

Not quite sure what "technical skill" you are talking about, could you please elaborate it?

Thank you!

Back