• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How is the job market lately? Especially those graduating this december...did anyone land with an offer?

I have been getting interviews, but nothing getting past initial rounds. Is it routine to conduct initial rounds now and then take later stage interviews after holidays?

I have been getting interviews, but nothing getting past initial rounds. Is it routine to conduct initial rounds now and then take later stage interviews after holidays?
I been searching for work for almost 6 months and only now I have starting to find interview. Keep in mind I had no official internships nor the highest GPA. But I do have high test scores.

Last edited:
I've been looking for internship (Fall 2020 intake at Columbia MSFE), most of the big banks will still at least call me for some sort of coding or maths test or phone interview, but they're generally pretty slow to officially say no. I think GS, MS and JPM took months after my tests with them to stealthily reject me (I had to login to their job portals to check my status). Deutsche was the only one to reject me in a day after the first round of situational awareness test (kinda amusing being told by Deutsche, of all banks, that I have poor situational judgment skills, but ok). :LOL:

For the buy side, I've applied to most of the big name hedge funds and prop firms, most are immediate rejections, except for 3. Fortunately I did rather well in two of them and recently got an offer from one, and a final round from the other.

I've been looking for internship (Fall 2020 intake at Columbia MSFE), most of the big banks will still at least call me for some sort of coding or maths test or phone interview, but they're generally pretty slow to officially say no. I think GS, MS and JPM took months after my tests with them to stealthily reject me (I had to login to their job portals to check my status). Deutsche was the only one to reject me in a day after the first round of situational awareness test (kinda amusing being told by Deutsche, of all banks, that I have poor situational judgment skills, but ok). :LOL:

For the buy side, I've applied to most of the big name hedge funds and prop firms, most are immediate rejections, except for 3. Fortunately I did rather well in two of them and recently got an offer from one, and a final round from the other.
yup, this is how to do it. if you're not at the most coveted institutions you will have a handful of interview opportunities so make sure you seize the ones you get

Back