• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How is this for a theoretical undergrad schedule?

It's not that I am solely persuing a business major - I am taking quant classes.

As for the notion that even taking business classes will short-change me for an MFE - http://tepper.cmu.edu/master-in-computational-finance/your-career/recruiting-partners/download.aspx?id=6263 (page 6) says that 20% of CMU MFE participants in 2009 had business undergrad majors. And their compensation was barely lower. Can someone point to me where my logic is going wrong???

Probability doesn't work like this.

There's a basic, common-sense theorem, called Bayes' Theorem, which tells us that the conditional probability of an event depends on more than the probability of two events occurring together. Sort of.

Let me put it in easy terms, so you can understand what I mean.

Let's say that 90% of the applicants to CMU are business majors, and 20% of the admitted students are business majors. Furthermore, let's assume the probability of being admitted into CMU is 10%.

Then, the probability of one being admitted to CMU being a business major is 2.2%. While the probability of one being admitted not being a business major is 80%.

See where you made your mistake? You're not considering the hypothesis that it may be the case that business majors are the most interested in masters programs related to finance.

But anyways...

My point, and what I guess the other guys are trying to say, is that getting a shallow, wide education is worst than getting a deep, focused one.

And if you want to be a Quant, it is best to focus your education on quantitative and technical majors.

You're not considering the hypothesis that it may be the case that business majors are the most interested in masters programs related to finance.
Is this really true? I would think that it is the other way around... And by the way I am well aware of Bayes' theorem :|

But what I am trying to say is... is this sample schedule actually shallow?
I understand it can be made "more deep" but when it comes down to it, I am taking the same, if not more, relevant classes as a prospective, say, engineering student. At least half of an engineering curriculum has no relevance whatsoever to quantitative finance.

Thanks again!

Yes, it is shallow, compared to the people that you'll be competing against.

Ok, can you please explain the various courses they will be taking? If you could, use an engineering student as an example. Thanks :)

Here is a good website that explains/explores different careers in finance :
http://www.careers-in-finance.com/

@euroazn - I can understand your desire to do your homework on choosing a career and classes, but you asked for our advice and we gave it to you. Whether you follow our advice is up to you, but from what I can tell, we are all saying about the same thing. Maybe someone else is willing to justify every word they have said but I am not. If you have any other questions, please ask and I will be more than willing to answer to the best of my abilities.

Yes, I majored in finance because I wanted to work in banking. An MSF is a natural progression for someone with a finance UG. While the MSF is quantitative because of the graduate level finance and stats work it is nothing near as complex as a MFE. My UG in finance would of done nothing for me when it came to advanced math and stats as well as computer programming. Furthermore, I am not trying to get into a quant role, but rather a more traditional IB/sales type role.

That is what I mean. See the difference.

Back