• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

how many words do I need?

I'm working on my personal statement. My first draft reached more than 900 words!
I guess this is too much. but there is no words requirements in most applications.
Anyone could help me with this? Based on your experiences, how many words do I need?? I do appreciate it!

Silly question. What have you got to say? Say it, then trim the excess, tighten the structure, improve the flow and logic. Look at models of elegance and terseness like Bacon's essays.

As long as it is clearly organized.that means that when the admissions officer reads it, they should remember all key points workout having to read it twice. I used paragraph headings, but that's not the only way to do it.

As long as it is clearly organized.that means that when the admissions officer reads it, they should remember all key points workout having to read it twice. I used paragraph headings, but that's not the only way to do it.

Not arguing for its own sake but a good essay is one which an admissions officer first skims with a glazed and bored eye (it really is tedious going through hundreds of mechanically produced essays written with the same faux enthusiasm and tired cliches), then realises there's something different with this, and then goes back and savors the essay as a connoisseur appreciating the flow, structure, choice of words, and argument.

Not arguing for its own sake but a good essay is one which an admissions officer first skims with a glazed and bored eye (it really is tedious going through hundreds of mechanically produced essays written with the same faux enthusiasm and tired cliches), then realises there's something different with this, and then goes back and savors the essay as a connoisseur appreciating the flow, structure, choice of words, and argument.
Thanks for your replay even I would not agree with you "that's a silly question"
Actually, I believe words requirement is confusing many applicants especially international applicants like me.
Anyway, I do appreciate your advice. I will tighten my structure and sentences.

Honestly, I think we mean the same thing, but with different manifestations. A good essay to me is one where the reader after reading it can write the outline of the essay without having to read it twice. Same idea with skimming and the reading again. They got the main point and then want to look for detail.

Back