• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much do Quants w/ a Ph.D. in Theoretical Phys. make with 0-3 yrs. of experience? Should I pursue a career as a Quant?

I find myself at a crossroads in my career and would greatly appreciate your insights and advice on a matter that has been on my mind lately. You see, I am a student currently working towards a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, and I've been pondering the idea of venturing into the realm of quantitative finance.

I've had a discussion with my dad, who raised some concerns and advised me against pursuing a career as a quant. He believes there might be better options out there for someone with my educational background. (He works in tech and believes that I should go for a diff. career. But, I still want to consider being a quant as an option, to do that, I would need some info on salary prog.)

I am two years away from finishing my Ph.D. (hopefully haha) but I am still wondering what I should aim for as my uni. days are coming to an end.

(It would be worth noting I am attending a top-15 school for my Ph.D.)

What would be the expected salary from someone with my background?

Ex:

Total Comp with:

0-3 years of exp.

3-5 years of exp.

5-10 years of exp.

so on and so forth...

And, in your opinion, is being a quant fulfilling?

Anyways, that's about it...

Thank you for your insight folks!

The variance of TC explodes with increasing years of experience. Even for new grad, there's a wide range of packages depending on the firm, and it's hard to determine the expected salary from someone with your background since I have no idea of the probability density function of the firms you can get in/how good you are at interviewing. Just as a benchmark, I have friends making high 200ks straight out of school working FO bank roles, and friends straight out of school making low 600ks working QR roles at top shops. 3-5 years in really depends on performance, many people just stagnate while the stars are making x million at this point. Just a heads up, while I was a student I was enamoured with the numbers but once I actually entered the industry I realized nothing is really free - there is an equivalent amount of stress and expectations of performance that scale with the $$$.

The variance of TC explodes with increasing years of experience. Even for new grad, there's a wide range of packages depending on the firm, and it's hard to determine the expected salary from someone with your background since I have no idea of the probability density function of the firms you can get in/how good you are at interviewing. Just as a benchmark, I have friends making high 200ks straight out of school working FO bank roles, and friends straight out of school making low 600ks working QR roles at top shops. 3-5 years in really depends on performance, many people just stagnate while the stars are making x million at this point. Just a heads up, while I was a student I was enamoured with the numbers but once I actually entered the industry I realized nothing is really free - there is an equivalent amount of stress and expectations of performance that scale with the $$$.
What’re FO bank roles?

Edit: front office, got it:)

Back