• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How much is my GPA going to affect me?

I am currently a sophomore at a non-target school majoring in Economics and Computer Science. Last year I had a large culture shock as I am in a school that is far away from home and I am a D1 athlete so the training was intense that first year. Needless to say I got a very less than optimal 3.0 GPA last year. I know I can do a lot better than that and I am much more focused this year (and actually enjoy my classes now) so I am confident I can get a 3.8+ GPA this year and something similar my junior year. I am hoping to get my Masters in Financial Engineering after my fours years and move into the Quant Industry if possible. My question is, Will that 3.0 GPA my Freshman year hold me back from significant opportunities later on when looking for a Masters Program or a Quant role later on?

short answer: nope

long answer: your GPA is the cumulative score of 4 years. Do better on the other three years and you will be fine.

Stop stressing yourself out, you are a sophomore.

If you can get a 3.8 average over the next 3 years then your gpa will raise to 3.6, you have time still so not a huge dealbreaker

Back