• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How old is too old?

How old is too old to start a career in quant finance? maybe a risk role or another job that is non-programming intensive?

I ask because I am over 40, with degrees in finance and work in finance operations, but I am fascinated by quant finance. I am preparing for an MFE by taking C++, math courses, other, but I am still 1 year away, and I question whether I am just too old to move into the field. Any thoughts?

In the UCB - Haas MFE information session we were told that the students ranged from just out of college to 20 years of work experience. I think you'll be fine with whatever age you have. You need to demonstrate a passion for finance and above average maths and programming skills. Rest assured there are many people on this forum who are close to your age.

Recently I have seen a 50+ year old guy doing an exam with 23-25 year old students who were doing MSc. I am pretty sure they were group-mates.

40 years is not too late. It's only better to have chosen the specific career path in earlier age but for switching to another field, it's quite common. If you have a financial background (like degrees and experience as you say) then moreover, it'll be easier to switch. But as sleekmover said, there are inside fields in quant career which requires patience to get in. For example some positions require many years of experience in exactly the same field which is to be attained during your work. But for generally getting into a new field, it's a normal age.

Back