• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How relevant is M.Sc in Scientific computating to get in the quant career

Is M.Sc in Scientific Computing relevant to the quantative analyst career path?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, if you specialize in statistics and/or with Economics minor

Results are only viewable after voting.
I could join a class. I've heard they have classes for the international students in the University
Does no harm. If you are good in languages these classes will bore you.
Join a (sports) club, mingle and get to know people.

Does no harm. If you are good in languages these classes will bore you.
Join a (sports) club, mingle and get to know people.
Yeah that's what I'm planning to do. Let's see. Hopefully, I will be able to make daily conversations by the end of my masters

what's "reasonably"?
It's context-sensitive and it depends on what the requirements are. There are different levels, An extreme case is you _think_ in your 2nd language and not in your mother tongue.

I knew a Russian maths prof who after 6 months gave lectures in Dutch on "Generalised Functions and PDEs". Not bad. But the accent...

A practical example; teaching C++ in English to 16 students, 15 of whom are Dutch, #16 no Dutch and not willing to learn Dutch.

Last edited:
I could join a class. I've heard they have classes for the international students in the University

You're only fooling yourself. You will never get fluent sitting in a class with other people in the same position as you. I went through the same process when I was learning Norwegian in Norway. The only way you become fluent is when you interact with locals.

And courses are

1. Half don't do homework.
2. Always 1 guy who's out to ruin things.

But a nice way to meet people.

I learned basic Dutch in the beginning by listening to songs and watching TV commercials.

Hi,
If you are based out of India, and want to get started with German, Goethe institute, Maxmuller Bhavan is a very decent place. I've had close friends who have generally high regards for the place.

You're only fooling yourself. You will never get fluent sitting in a class with other people in the same position as you. I went through the same process when I was learning Norwegian in Norway. The only way you become fluent is when you interact with locals.

I think, one secret to master a language, would be to start thinking in the language you want to speak.
For example, if your thought process is in, French or Norwegian or any language; if you try to construct simple sentences in your mind, it can make a significant difference.

Back