• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How rigorous is it, really?

I'm currently majoring in engineering, and I must say that the rigour of mathematics is fair. Some courses are much easier, while others are a bit more complicated. However, I think this is nothing compared to what the pure math/theoretical physics guys go through.

What kind of mathematics are involved in FE? Do you need to be able to handle PhD level mathematics to understand and utilize the math involved? I am no math genius, but I would say that I'm definitely above average, with the group consisting of university students majoring in the math/science/engineering.

Courses in FE are easier than Mathematics PhD courses. They aren't easy, but not as hard as Math PhD. Many courses are easy in nature but require a lot of work. For example, if you are not comfortable with C++, you might find it hard to code even elementary operations [and this has nothing to do with PhD level Math]. A couple of courses might actually involve your non-mathematical abilities.

Graduating with FE, you are partially a mathematician, programmer, financier, statistician, and even lawyer [listed in order of expertise].

I guess that's good news for me, especially since I fear that I'll be "outmathed" by those quant jocks out there.

Back