• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to become an algotrader ?

Hello

I'm about to start a Masters in computer science for people with little experience in computing (so, its a generalist degree) mainly to attain more practical/ technical skills. On the other hand I am fairly knowledgeable (in my opinion) in understanding market order flow and am a profitable retail trader (small account, recent grad in economics). Obviously I see enormous synergy between programming skills and basically automating what I do across all markets in multi-time frames.

And therein lies the problem - as a computer layman, I don't know where to go from here. The course I am taking (starting in Sept 12), aside from the fact that it won't take me too far, will definitely include a lot of Java. The major issue I am having is how focused I should be with my studies. I can see myself being obsessed with programming the system and making it work, parallel to my studies which will be in other areas of Computing too. I really don't see myself being able to make my own platform, getting my own feed to work, executing with my own trades, risk managing my own stuff. (would you agree? if I can, can I work this into the masters thesis?) and not sure if there is much value in doing this considering heavy initial fixed investment required (maybe this is wrong)

I am not very knowledgable but perhaps there are retail algo trading providers in which I only have to worry about programming the trading system. I presume there is a lot of self-teaching in many areas to be done. Can someone advise me on what to learn ?

Cheers for reading the babble.. I feel like I am entering an important part of life, so feel a bit desperate and lost ..

Thanks again.

Want to code trading strategies?

Then code trading strategies. Obviously you're making some assumptions about perfect pricing and not impacting the market too much through your own transactions and such, but beyond that, if you want to code trading strategies, learn to code trading strategies.

Back